Ramirez leads White Sox past DodgersMay 23, 2011 - 12:02 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Alexei Ramirez went 4-for-5 with a home run, two doubles and five RBI, carrying the White Sox over the Dodgers, 8-3, to take the three-game interleague set.
A.J. Pierzynski added a solo homer and Juan Pierre had three hits and two runs scored for Chicago, which dropped the series opener in extra innings before winning the last two.
Edwin Jackson (4-5) went 5 2/3 innings to earn the win, getting touched for one run on five hits and two walks while fanning seven.
Jerry Sands went 4-for-4 with a run scored, while Hiroki Kuroda (5-4) gave up six runs -- four earned -- on nine hits in 5 2/3 frames in defeat, Los Angeles' seventh in nine games.
"I think we're going to be fine going forward," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
LA couldn't do much against Jackson, but pushed two runs across against the White Sox bullpen in the seventh to pull within 6-3. The first three hitters reached against Chris Sale, and Jesse Crain came in and issued a one-out walk to Jamey Carroll to force in a run. A Tony Gwynn groundout plated another, and that's all the Dodgers got as Matt Kemp was called out on a close play at first.
Matt Thornton tossed a 1-2-3 eighth, and Chicago got two insurance runs in the home half, when Ramirez knocked in Gordon Beckham and scored on an Adam Dunn base hit.
Thornton stayed on in the ninth and picked up his second save of the year.
"Today we swung the bat very well, and our defense was outstanding." White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said.
Kuroda did not allow a run over 14 2/3 innings in his previous two starts, but gave up three in the first inning Sunday on a pair of long balls. Pierre singled to lead off the game and Ramirez put one into the bullpen beyond the left-field wall. Two outs later, Pierzynski hit his second homer of the year.
Ramirez drove in Beckham in both the second and fourth innings, and Pierre raced home on Paul Konerko's sacrifice fly in the latter frame for a 6-0 cushion.
The Dodgers got on the board in the fifth when James Loney doubled, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on Jay Gibbons' groundout.
LA's Andre Ethier left the game in the fourth inning after suffering toe and back injuries when he ran into the outfield wall chasing down a Pierre fly ball. Ethier went 0-for-2 and has gone 1-for-30 over his last nine games, dropping his batting average from .362 to .307...Dodgers catcher Rod Barajas also left the game early with a wrist injury...In more injury news for the Dodgers, infielder Juan Uribe was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a lower abdominal or hip flexor muscle strain...Jackson, who was 1-5 in his previous six starts, spent the first three seasons of his career with the Dodgers (2003-05)...Chicago is 13-2 in its last 15 interleague games.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 22 5:30 PM
- Ramon Troncoso enters the game for the Dodgers with two on and one out.
Dodgers 3, White Sox 8 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 22 5:22 PM
- Alexei Ramirez doubled to right scored Gordon Beckham. Runner on second with one out and Adam Dunn due up.
Dodgers 3, White Sox 7 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 22 5:15 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. stole second. Runners on second and third with two outs and Matt Kemp at the plate.
Dodgers 3, White Sox 6 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 22 4:47 PM
- Jamey Carroll walked. Jay Gibbons scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 2, White Sox 6 Top 7, 1 OutMay 22 4:42 PM
- Jay Gibbons grounded out first to pitcher scored James Loney. None on with two outs and Jerry Sands due up.
Dodgers 1, White Sox 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 22 3:49 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski struck out swinging to end the inning.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 6 End 4May 22 3:40 PM
- Alexei Ramirez singled to right scored Gordon Beckham. On the play, Juan Pierre advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Dunn due up.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 5 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 22 3:30 PM
- Alexei Ramirez doubled to left scored Gordon Beckham. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Dunn due up.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 22 2:47 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski two-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Alex Rios due up.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 22 2:28 PM
- Alexei Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Juan Pierre. Adam Dunn due up.
Dodgers 0, White Sox 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 22 2:23 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
May 22 2:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22