Moreland powers Rangers over White SoxAug 20, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Moreland finished 2-for-4 with five RBI and Josh Hamilton added a go-ahead solo shot in the sixth for the Rangers, who have won 12 of their last 15 games.
Yoshinori Tateyama (2-0) tossed 2 2/3 hitless innings to earn the win. He relieved starter Matt Harrison, who allowed four runs -- three earned -- on four hits over 4 1/3 frames.
Neftali Feliz worked a perfect ninth to record his 25th save of the season.
Jake Peavy (5-6) allowed seven runs on six hits over six frames to suffer the loss. He walked two and struck out five.
"The last couple innings he was missing his spots," said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. "When he was making a big pitch it seemed like it wasn't in the strike zone."
Carlos Quentin had an RBI double for the White Sox, losers of three straight.
Early on, the White Sox appeared poised for an explosive night.
Juan Pierre began the bottom of the first with a single and promptly stole second. After a Paul Konerko walk, Quentin doubled home Pierre. Alexei Ramirez followed with a single to push across Konerko.
An inning later, Brent Morel led off with his first career triple and scored on Pierre's sac bunt. Morel's hit proved to be the White Sox last of the game.
Peavy held the Rangers hitless through 3 2/3 frames before Michael Young's single. Cruz followed with a double to make it a 3-1 game. After a Mike Napoli walk, Moreland belted a 1-0 cutter into the stands in right center to give Texas the lead.
The White Sox managed to tie the game in the fifth. Gordon Beckham drew a leadoff walk before Pierre laid down a bunt. Harrison fielded the ball and went to second, but Elvis Andrus was unable to haul in the throw as runners reached the corners. Brent Lillibridge followed with a sac fly.
Tateyama relieved Harrison after a Konerko walk and retired Quentin and Ramirez to limit the damage.
A half-inning later Hamilton put the Rangers on top with a leadoff homer. Later in the frame, Napoli reached with a two-out single and Moreland, who has been bothered by a sore right hamstring, followed with a blast to right.
"We're playing really good baseball," said Moreland. "We're pitching, we're playing pretty good defense and we're getting the hits that we need. When you're playing like that, it's a tough team to beat."
Ramirez was tossed by home plate umpire Jeff Nelson in the eighth for arguing a called third strike...The Rangers are 7-1 on their current 10-game road trip...Prior to the game, the White Sox placed pitcher Philip Humber on the 15-day disabled list Friday with a facial contusion. To fill the roster spot, the club purchased the contract of pitcher Josh Kinney from Triple-A Charlotte.
- TEXAS: 7
Aug 19 10:57 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba flied out to right to end the inning.
Rangers 7, White Sox 4 Mid 6Aug 19 9:56 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (16) to right. Michael Young due up.
Rangers 5, White Sox 4 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 19 9:50 PM
- Brent Lillibridge sacrifice fly to right scored Gordon Beckham with one out. Runner on first and Paul Konerko due up.
Rangers 4, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 19 9:36 PM
- Mitch Moreland two-out, three-run Home Run (15) to center scored Nelson Cruz and Mike Napoli. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 4, White Sox 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 9:14 PM
- Nelson Cruz double to left scored Michael Young with two out. Runner on second and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 1, White Sox 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 9:10 PM
- Juan Pierre sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Brent Morel with two out. None on and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 19 8:46 PM
- Alex Rios grounded out pitcher to first. Runners on second and third with two outs and Tyler Flowers due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 19 8:29 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to left scored Juan Pierre with one out. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to third. Runners on second and third and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 19 8:26 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22