White Sox pound RangersAug 21, 2011 - 11:42 PM
Brent Lillibridge and Alex Rios led the attack as both crushed two-run homers and Alejandro De Aza added three RBI for the Sox, who won the final two games of the series after dropping three straight.
"It was a good series," Lillibridge said. "It was good after losing the first one to come back and win the next two. We've been playing well on the road, so hopefully we can continue that."
Gavin Floyd (11-10) went seven-plus innings to earn the win, scattering three hits, fanning six and issuing only one walk. Jason Frasor struck out the side in the ninth to seal the win.
Derek Holland (11-5) lasted only 3 1/3 innings, giving up five runs on eight hits while fanning three and walking two.
Yorvit Torrealba collected two of Texas' four hits while Endy Chavez and Mike Napoli accounted for the other two. The Rangers have lost three of their last four after a six-game winning streak.
The White Sox opened the scoring in the third inning and cruised from there. Juan Pierre beat out an infield single to second and Lillibridge followed by belting a hanging curveball from Holland deep into the left field seats for a 2-0 Sox lead. Chicago padded its lead later in the inning on a two-run double by De Aza.
Chicago added a run in the fourth to make it 5-0. Gordon Beckham roped a single to right to begin the inning and Lillibridge singled two batters later to give the White Sox two men on with one out. Paul Konerko then greeted Rangers reliever Scott Feldman by lacing an RBI single into right.
Tyler Flowers led off the home fifth with a single to center, and advanced to second on ground out by De Aza. Brent Morel walked to put runners on first and second with one out and Beckham roped a single to advance both runners. Pierre then came through with a two-run single to make it 7-0.
Chicago expanded its lead again in the eighth when Lillibridge singled to lead off the frame and Rios followed two batters later with a monster shot to left. De Aza capped the scoring with an RBI single following a Flowers double.
Texas was unable to mount any offense against Floyd and was shut out for the sixth time this season.
"They have a solid team," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "Their record may not show it, but they can play baseball as well as anybody and today they played better than we did."
Chicago concluded its nine-game homestand at 5-4...The teams split the season series 4-4...Konerko needs one hit to become the 14th player to collect 2,000 hits in a White Sox uniform...It was Lillibridge's 11th homer of the year and Rios' eighth.
- TEXAS: 0
Aug 21 5:14 PM
- Alejandro De Aza singled to right scored Tyler Flowers.. Runner on first with two outs and Brent Morel due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 5:02 PM
- Alex Rios one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Brent Lillibridge. Alexei Ramirez due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 9 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 21 4:58 PM
- Juan Pierre singled to left scored Tyler Flowers and Brent Morel. On the play, Gordon Beckham advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 7 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 21 3:59 PM
- Alex Rios popped out to short. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 21 3:34 PM
- Alejandro De Aza doubled to left scored Alexei Ramirez and Tyler Flowers. Runner on second with two outs and Brent Morel due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 21 3:07 PM
- Paul Konerko grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 0, White Sox 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 21 2:59 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 2:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22