White Sox get by Twins with big fifth inningAug 31, 2011 - 6:08 AM
Twins starter Anthony Swarzak (3-5) lasted 4 1/3 innings, allowing eight runs -- six earned -- on six hits.
"They beat me when they had the chance," said Swarzak. "They got guys on and they got them in and that's what it's all about."
He entered the fifth with a 6-3 lead, but Paul Konerko ripped an RBI double before the tying runs scored on Michael Cuddyer's throwing error. Burnett entered and issued a walk to load the bases, then hit Beckham two batters later.
Juan Pierre added an RBI single and Alejandro De Aza belted a three-run homer for the White Sox, who have won five straight and seven of nine. They remain five games behind the AL Central-leading Tigers, who beat the Royals in extra innings earlier Tuesday.
"We're putting together a nice little run here," said Konerko. "The best thing to do is not think about that, just keep taking it day by day."
Rookie starter Zach Stewart gave up six runs in 4 2/3 innings for Chicago, but Will Ohman (1-3) recorded the final out in the top of the fifth to earn the win.
Sergio Santos fanned three in a scoreless ninth to record his 28th save of the season.
Jason Kubel hit a three-run homer for the Twins, who have lost 11 of 13.
The blast -- Kubel's 11 of the season -- followed singles by Joe Mauer and Cuddyer and broke a scoreless tie in the fourth.
A half-inning later, Swarzak hit Konerko leading off, then allowed a single to Alex Rios. Two batters later, De Aza belted a 2-2 fastball in to seats in right, making it a 3-3 game.
Minnesota quickly reclaimed the lead with a three-run fifth. Tsuyoshi Nishioka led off with a single and Trevor Plouffe walked with one down. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch before scoring on Mauer's double to right. Cuddyer's subsequent single gave the Twins a 6-3 lead.
The White Sox proved resilient, scraping together five runs in the bottom half. Alexei Ramirez singled and scored on Konerko's one-out double. A single by Rios and a hit-batsman loaded the bases.
De Aza then ground a ball to Cuddyer at first, whose throw to second sailed into left field, allowing Konerko and Rios to score. Burnett spelled Swarzak, walked Tyler Flowers, struck out Brent Morel and walked Beckham before exiting.
Pierre greeted Jose Mijares with an RBI single to seal the final margin.
Jason Frasor tossed a scoreless sixth, Chris Sale allowed Ben Revere to reach second in the third, but retired the next six batters he faced before handing the ball to Santos in the ninth.
The White Sox moved three games above .500 (68-65) for the first time since April 12...Chicago has won its last five games against Minnesota to cut its deficit in the season series to 7-6...Swarzak started for the first time since July 18. He worked six innings of one-run ball to defeat the White Sox on July 10.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Aug 30 11:07 PM
- Juan Pierre single to left scored Alejandro De Aza with two out. On the play, Tyler Flowers thrown out at home, left to catcher to end the inning.
Twins 6, White Sox 8 End 5Aug 30 9:57 PM
- Gordon Beckham was hit-by-pitch, scoring Dayan Viciedo with two out. Bases loaded and Juan Pierre due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 30 9:53 PM
- Alejandro De Aza safe at first on a force attempt, throwing error by Michael Cuddyer scored Paul Konerko and Alex Rios with one out. On the play, Dayan Viciedo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tyler Flowers due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 30 9:47 PM
- Paul Konerko double to left scored Alexei Ramirez with one out. Runner on second and Alex Rios due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 30 9:36 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to center scored Joe Mauer with one out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer out at second, center to short to second. None on with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 9:26 PM
- Joe Mauer double to right scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Trevor Plouffe with one out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 5, White Sox 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 30 9:24 PM
- Alejandro De Aza one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Paul Konerko and Alex Rios. Tyler Flowers due up.
Twins 3, White Sox 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 30 9:11 PM
- Jason Kubel none-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right scored Joe Mauer and Michael Cuddyer. Luke Hughes due up.
Twins 3, White Sox 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 30 8:58 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22