Twins hold off White Sox to avoid sweepAug 31, 2011 - 10:39 PM
Scott Diamond (1-2) allowed three runs on three hits and three walks while fanning five through six innings to earn his first career victory.
"This is an unbelievable accomplishment. I really couldn't have done this without the guys on the team," Diamond said about his first win.
Joe Nathan allowed two runs in the ninth, but left the game-tying run on the bases to earn his 12th save of the year.
Jake Peavy (6-7) allowed six runs -- all in the first inning -- on eight hits in five innings. He did not issue a walk and struck out four.
Brent Lillibridge hit a two-run homer for the White Sox, who had their season- high tying five-game win streak snapped.
Chicago remains six games back of the Detroit Tigers for first place in the AL Central. The two clubs start a three-game set in Detroit on Friday.
In the ninth, pinch-hitter Alejandro De Aza greeted Nathan with a double before Omar Visquel worked a pinch-hit walk. A Juan Pierre groundout moved the runners to second and third, and Paul Konerko made it a one-run game when he slapped a single just inside the line in shallow right field. But Alex Rios was caught looking at a called third strike on a slider up in the zone to end the game.
The Twins jumped all over Peavy early. Trevor Plouffe smacked a one-out double off the wall in left-center field in the first inning and came home when Joe Mauer followed with a ground-rule double. Michael Cuddyer plated Mauer with another ground-rule double before Kubel blasted a two-run home run over the left-field wall. After a Danny Valencia strikeout, Rene Tosoni singled to right and Hughes followed with the Minnesota's second two-run homer of the frame, giving the Twins a six-run advantage.
"You go out there some day with pretty good stuff and some days you don't have that good of stuff. I thought I had good enough stuff today to compete," Peavy said about his outing.
Pierre worked a two-out walk in the third inning before Lillibridge sent a ball into the left-field bleachers to make the score 6-2.
The White Sox made it a three-run game in the sixth on Konerko's RBI double, but Jason Repko answered with a solo shot off of Jason Frasor in the seventh.
Glen Perkins started the eighth for Minnesota, and after a Pierre base hit and a Konerko walk, Rios sent a single up the middle, scoring Pierre. Perkins fanned Alexei Ramirez before Dayan Viciedo loaded the bases with a single to center field. Tyler Flowers followed with a liner to third, but Valencia was able to make the grab and the game-tying runs were stranded on the bases.
Chicago ended the game hitting 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven men on base.
Mauer's knocked in the 500th RBI of his career with his run-scoring, ground- rule double in the first inning...Peavy is now 0-5 in his last seven home starts...Minnesota had lost its last five games against Chicago prior to Wednesday's win...The White Sox recorded their fourth consecutive non-losing month with a 16-12 record in August...Minnesota ended a dreadful August with a 7-21 record.
- MINNESOTA: 7
Aug 31 4:52 PM
- Paul Konerko singled to right scoring Alejandro De Aza and Omar Vizquel. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Twins 7, White Sox 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 31 4:51 PM
- Alex Rios singled to center scoring Juan Pierre. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Twins 7, White Sox 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 31 4:17 PM
- Jason Repko two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 7, White Sox 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 31 3:53 PM
- Paul Konerko doubled to left scoring Brent Lillibridge. Runner on second with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 3:38 PM
- Brent Lillibridge two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left center scored Juan Pierre. Paul Konerko due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 3:01 PM
- Luke Hughes two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left center scored Rene Tosoni. Drew Butera due up.
Twins 6, White Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 31 2:25 PM
- Jason Kubel one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Michael Cuddyer. Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 4, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 31 2:20 PM
- Michael Cuddyer hit a ground-rule double to center scoring Joe Mauer. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 2, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 31 2:18 PM
- Joe Mauer hit a ground-rule double to left center scoring Trevor Plouffe. Runner on second with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 1, White Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 31 2:15 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 2:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22