Beltre, Moreland blast Rangers past AngelsApr 19, 2011 - 5:11 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre had a three-run homer, Mitch Moreland added a solo blast among three RBI and the Rangers snapped the Angels' five-game winning streak with a 7-1 victory. in the opener of a three- game series.
C.J. Wilson (2-0) earned the win, allowing just one run despite giving up nine hits in seven innings. He struck out nine and walked one for the Rangers, who moved to 11-5 for a one-game lead on the Angels in the American League West.
Texas, starting a 10-game homestand, smacked 14 hits against three Angels pitchers and improved to 7-0 at home for the first time in franchise history.
"It's early in the season obviously, but we feel comfortable here," said Rangers designated hitter Michael Young.
Angels starter Ervin Santana (0-2) took the brunt of the offensive outburst, yielding six runs on 10 hits in four-plus innings. He struck out three and walked one.
Maicer Izturis, Howie Kendrick, Vernon Wells and Peter Bourjos had two hits apiece in the loss.
"Those guys beat us tonight," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "We didn't execute some things that we had to on the mound, and early on at the plate, but I don't think we need major adjustments."
The game was scoreless until the fourth inning, when Moreland's two-run single made it 2-0. Nelson Cruz and David Murphy scored on the play after hitting back-to-back singles and a walk by Mike Napoli.
Santana was pulled without retiring a batter in Texas' four-run fifth inning.
Ian Kinsler started the rally with a triple and came home on Elvis Andrus' single. Young followed with a base hit and Beltre brought everyone home when he hammered an 0-1 pitch over the wall in centerfield for his fifth homer of the season.
The Angels scratched out their only run in the seventh inning on singles by Jeff Mathis, Bourjos and Kendrick, who knocked in Mathis.
Moreland homered to right-center field in the eighth off Jason Bulger.
The Angels were coming off a three-game sweep of the White Sox in Chicago and had outscored their opponents 21-10 during their five-game winning streak...The Angels had their run of three straight division titles ended by the Rangers last season.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Apr 18 10:56 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Chris Davis due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 18 10:42 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Jeff Mathis with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 6 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 18 10:19 PM
- Adrian Beltre none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to center scored Elvis Andrus and Michael Young. Nelson Cruz due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 18 9:40 PM
- Elvis Andrus sacrifice scored Ian Kinsler with none out.On the play Ervin Santana throwing error advanced the runner to second. Runner on second with none out and Michael Young due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 18 9:36 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to center scored Nelson Cruz and David Murphy with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 18 9:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 18 8:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22