Bourjos, Angels rip RangersApr 20, 2011 - 6:42 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Peter Bourjos went 4-for-5 with a two-run homer, three RBI and three runs scored as the LA Angels of Anaheim destroyed the Texas Rangers, 15-4, in the second of a three-game set.
Mark Trumbo hit a two-run home run and drove in four while Hank Conger added two hits, two RBI and two runs scored for the Angels, who have won six of seven.
"It's a by-product of a lot of hard work and a lot of good coaching," Trumbo said of the Angels' outburst. "We've been producing with men in scoring position. Tonight was just another example of that."
Matt Palmer (1-0) turned in a solid performance as he gave up just one run on three hits with a walk and three strikeouts over six innings.
Ian Kinsler went 2-for-5 with an RBI and Yorvit Torrealba hit a solo home run for the Rangers, who have lost five of their last seven. Colby Lewis (1-2) was tagged for four runs on five hits over five innings to take the loss.
The Angels got on the board in the second on an RBI single from Trumbo while the Rangers countered in the third on a run-scoring single by Kinsler.
Trumbo, though, gave the Angels the lead back in the fourth on a two-run shot to left.
Maicer Izturis led off the fifth with a blast over the right field wall for a 4-1 lead.
The sixth saw four more runs come across for the Angels. Trumbo doubled home Alberto Callaspo and later in the frame with two on, Bourjos punched a single to left saw David Murphy misplay the ball and Bourjos was able to come home for an 8-1 lead.
In the seventh, Callaspo singled home a run, Conger brought home two more with a single and Bourjos' homer to left made it a 13-1 game.
Julio Borbon's sacrifice fly in the seventh was followed by an RBI single from Vernon Wells in the eighth to make it a 14-2 game.
Bourjos scored off an error by Andres Blanco in the ninth while Torrealba hit a solo homer and Elvis Andrus added an RBI double in the bottom of the frame to account for the final score.
"It's just one of those games where it seems everything you do digs yourself deeper and deeper," Rangers first baseman Mitch Moreland said.
The start of the game was delayed by 11 minutes due to rain...Texas won 10 of the 19 games against the Angels last season...The Rangers committed four errors in the game...LA batted 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 15
Apr 19 11:28 PM
- Elvis Andrus doubled to center scoring Mitch Moreland. Runner on second with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Angels 15, Rangers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 19 11:26 PM
- Mitch Moreland walked. Runner on first with none out and Julio Borbon due up.
Angels 15, Rangers 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 19 11:20 PM
- Howie Kendrick struck out swinging to end the inning.
Angels 15, Rangers 2 Mid 9Apr 19 11:15 PM
- Vernon Wells singled to left scoring Bobby Abreu. Runner on first with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 14, Rangers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 19 10:55 PM
- Julio Borbon sacrifice fly out to center scored David Murphy. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 13, Rangers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 19 10:43 PM
- Peter Bourjos two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Hank Conger. Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 13, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 19 10:31 PM
- Hank Conger singled to left scoring Vernon Wells and Alberto Callaspo. Runner on first with two outs and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 11, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 19 10:30 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to center scoring Torii Hunter. Runners on first and third with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 9, Rangers 1 Top 7, 1 OutApr 19 10:24 PM
- Peter Bourjos singled to left scoring Mark Trumbo. On the play, David Murphy's fielding error scored Hank Conger and Peter Bourjos. None on with one out and Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 10:05 PM
- Mark Trumbo doubled to right center scoring Alberto Callaspo. Runner on second with one out and Hank Conger due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 19 9:53 PM
- Maicer Izturis lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 1 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 19 9:35 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Alberto Callaspo. Hank Conger due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 19 9:16 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to left scoring Mitch Moreland. Runner on first with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 19 9:06 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scoring Alberto Callaspo. Runner on first with one out and Hank Conger due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 19 8:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 8:17 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22