Weaver, Halos keep rollingApr 21, 2011 - 5:46 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver continued his red-hot start to the 2011 season by pitching the fifth complete game of his career, helping the Angels beat the Rangers, 4-1, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Weaver (5-0) gave up one run on six hits and struck out eight to record his fifth straight win for Los Angeles, which went 5-1 on a six-game road trip. The right-hander had four complete games in 2009.
He has allowed just five earned runs and 19 hits, while striking out an American League-best 39 batters in 36 2/3 innings this season. Weaver, who last won five straight starts back in 2006 as a rookie, led the AL in strikeouts last season with 233.
Weaver became the first major league pitcher to record five wins over his club's first 18 games in a season since Dave Stewart (5-0) pulled the trick for Oakland in 1990.
Vernon Wells and Howie Kendrick hit solo homers for the Angels, who got an RBI apiece from Jeff Mathis and Maicer Izturis.
"One thing we're doing well is pitching and playing terrific defense," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Michael Young drove in the lone run for Texas, which has lost six of eight.
Matt Harrison (3-1) gave up three runs on four hits over 6 2/3 frames. The left-hander also struck out five and walked three.
Los Angeles' first hit of the game came in the fourth. Kendrick led off the frame with a homer over the wall in left for a 1-0 lead.
The Angels added a run in the fifth for a 2-0 lead. Peter Bourjos tripled to center and scored on Mathis' bunt. Harrison's fielding error allowed Mathis to reach first.
Texas finally got to Weaver in the sixth. Elvis Andrus hit a two-out single and crossed the plate on Young's double down the right field line. Adrian Beltre popped out to keep it a 2-1 game.
LA responded with a run in the seventh. Mathis hit a one-out double and scored two batters later. Izturis reached base on a sharp grounder off the glove off third baseman Beltre.
David Murphy seemed to have a homer in the home seventh, but Bourjos climbed the wall in center to make a great catch. Mike Napoli hit a two-out double prior to Mitch Moreland striking out.
Wells led off the eighth with a homer to left for a 4-1 LA lead.
"We're playing good baseball," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "Those other teams are playing good baseball, too. We're only in April. It's not time to panic."
Texas was 10-9 against the Angels last season...Young extended his hitting streak to 11 games...Weaver improved to 8-4 lifetime against the Rangers...The Angels are 11-3 in their last 14 games since a 1-3 start...Los Angeles recorded its fourth straight series win...Texas went 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position...Andrus had two of Texas' six hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 20 10:50 PM
- Vernon Wells lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 20 10:10 PM
- Maicer Izturis infield single to short scored Jeff Mathis with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 20 9:53 PM
- Michael Young double to right scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 20 9:37 PM
- Jeff Mathis sacrifice bunt to the pitcher, reached first on Matt Harrison's fielding error scored Peter Bourjos with one out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 20 9:12 PM
- Howie Kendrick lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 20 8:52 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 8:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22