Rangers hit five homers, top KCApr 23, 2011 - 5:50 AM
Adrian Beltre and Ian Kinsler added solo shots for the Rangers, who had dropped four of five coming in. Michael Young finished 3-for-5 with two RBI.
"It's about confidence. We have confidence in what Derek (Holland) is doing. He ran into one bad inning, but it gave our offense a chance to open things up a little bit, which we did," Kinsler said about the offense turning it on late.
Derek Holland (3-1) worked seven innings for the win, charged with seven hits and five runs with nine strikeouts.
Brayan Pena slugged a three-run shot and Wilson Betemit drove in a pair of runs for the Royals, losers in four of their last six.
Jeff Francis (0-2) was torched in defeat for nine hits and six runs -- five earned -- over four-plus frames.
Four runs crossed the plate in the Rangers' third on Young's RBI triple and a run-scoring single from Beltre in advance of a two-run homer from Napoli for a 5-0 lead. It proved crucial to the home team, as KC struck back with five in the fourth to tie the game.
The Royals' first two men reached base on an infield single and walk, then Jeff Francoeur's double was followed by a Betemit single and it was 5-2. Two batters later a three-run blast to right from Pena pulled the visitors even.
Kinsler's solo shot in the home fourth put Texas back on top, then in the fifth Napoli walked ahead of Murphy's two-run homer for an 8-5 game.
Beltre deposited a pitch to right-center with two down in the sixth and Moreland added a two-run blast in the seventh to provide an 11-5 margin for the Rangers.
Two walks and a single loaded the bases with none out in the Kansas City eighth, then a Betemit sacrifice fly -- all off Pedro Strop -- reduced its margin to five.
That's as close as it got. Francoeur was thrown out trying to steal second, and Arthur Rhodes retired the next two batters to end the threat.
Darren Oliver turned in a scoreless ninth to wrap up the win.
"Their power guys hit a lot of fly balls tonight. They were able to get them up in the air and the wind just carried them," Francoeur said about the breeze blowing through the stadium. "We had a nice comeback there in the middle, swung the bats well but we couldn't get enough runs."
Texas got on the board in the first, when Kinsler reached on an error, moved up to second on a groundout and scored on a Young base hit.
KC outfielder Alex Gordon increased his career-best hit streak to 16 games by going 2-for-4...Young extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Betemit upped his run to 13 contests...The 11 runs were one off a season-high at home, a 12-5 decision over the Red Sox on April 2...Texas' season-best is 13 runs, in a 13-1 win at Baltimore on April 9...Prior to the contest, Rangers GM Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington presented AL championship rings to current Royals Francoeur and Matt Treanor...KC is the only team in the majors not to lose a series, winning three and tying three thus far.
- KANSAS CITY: 6
Apr 22 11:08 PM
- Wilson Betemit sacrifice fly foul out to right scored Alex Gordon with one out. Runners on first and third with one out and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Royals 6, Rangers 11 Top 8, 1 OutApr 22 10:46 PM
- Mitch Moreland two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored David Murphy. Ian Kinsler due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 22 10:30 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Nelson Cruz due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 22 10:16 PM
- David Murphy one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right center scored Mike Napoli. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 8 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 22 9:51 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 22 9:30 PM
- Brayan Pena one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Jeff Francoeur and Wilson Betemit. Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 5 Top 4, 1 OutApr 22 9:20 PM
- Wilson Betemit single to right scored Billy Butler with none out. Runners on first and third with none out and Kila Ka`aihue due up.
Royals 2, Rangers 5 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 22 9:18 PM
- Jeff Francoeur double to center scored Alex Gordon with none out. Runners on second and third with none out and Wilson Betemit due up.
Royals 1, Rangers 5 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 22 9:16 PM
- Mike Napoli two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Adrian Beltre. David Murphy due up.
Royals 0, Rangers 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 22 9:06 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to right center scored Michael Young with one out. Runner on second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Royals 0, Rangers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 22 9:00 PM
- Michael Young triple to center scored Ian Kinsler with one out. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Royals 0, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 22 8:59 PM
- Michael Young single to right scored Ian Kinsler with one out. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Royals 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 22 8:25 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22