Moreland's homer lifts Rangers over JaysApr 28, 2011 - 4:48 AM
Moreland's homer came after Juan Rivera hit a game-tying blast in the top half.
Mike Napoli and Michael Young both had a two-run double during the Rangers' six-run third inning, while rookie Cody Eppley (1-0) gave up one run in two relief innings to record his first major league win.
Darren Oliver pitched the ninth to get his second save for Texas, which had dropped the first two in this four-game series.
Rivera finished with three hits, two RBI and a walk for Toronto, which grabbed a 2-0 lead in the third inning after loading the bases with one out. Adam Lind hit a sacrifice fly and Rivera followed with a run-scoring single.
But the Rangers took control in the bottom half with a six-run outburst.
An error by third baseman Edwin Encarnacion allowed Yorvit Torrealba to reach base with one away, and after Moreland struck out, Toronto starter Jo-Jo Reyes threw a wild pitch and walked Ian Kinsler.
Elvis Andrus followed with a single to plate Torrealba, and Young doubled to left to put the Rangers in front. Reyes hit Adrian Beltre with a pitch before Nelson Cruz smacked an RBI single to right. Napoli's two-RBI double made it a 6-2 game and chased Reyes.
In 2 2/3 frames, Reyes allowed the six unearned runs and five hits, and walked one while striking out one.
But Texas' sizeable lead didn't last, as starter Derek Holland gave up three more runs in the fourth. With runners on the corners and two away, Mike McCoy singled. Jose Bautista then hit a two-run double.
In five frames, Holland gave up the five runs and 11 hits, and walked three while fanning two.
It was a 6-5 game until the seventh, when Rivera homered off Eppley, who was in his second inning at that point. However, Moreland led off the home half by crushing a ball over the center field wall against Octavio Dotel (1-1).
Arthur Rhodes pitched a scoreless eighth for Texas.
Toronto had 14 hits but left nine on base...Cruz finished 2-for-4, and was the only Rangers player with multiple hits. Kinsler finished with two walks and a stolen base...Young has 12 doubles.
- TORONTO: 6
Apr 27 11:08 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (3) to center. Ian Kinsler due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rangers 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 27 10:31 PM
- Juan Rivera two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 6, Rangers 6 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 27 10:27 PM
- Jose Bautista doubled to left scored Yunel Escobar and Mike McCoy with two out. Runner on second and Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 5, Rangers 6 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 9:30 PM
- Mike McCoy singled to right scored Corey Patterson with two out. Runners on first and second and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 6 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 9:28 PM
- Mike Napoli doubled to left scored Adrian Beltre and Nelson Cruz with two out. Runner on second and David Murphy due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:13 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to right scored Michael Young with two out. Runners on first and third and Mike Napoli due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:11 PM
- Michael Young doubled to left scored Ian Kinsler and Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:06 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to left scored Yorvit Torrealba with two out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advanced to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Michael Young due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 27 9:06 PM
- Juan Rivera singled to center scored Mike McCoy with two out. Runners on first and second and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 27 8:52 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22