Patterson helps Jays down RangersApr 28, 2011 - 10:19 PM
Frank Francisco (1-0) earned the win in 1 1/3 scoreless innings of relief for Toronto, which won three of four in the series.
Reliever Darren Oliver (1-2) took the loss for Texas when he allowed three runs -- one earned -- in the ninth inning to give the Rangers the series loss after a three-game sweep of the Royals.
Adam Lind's upper-deck, two-run home run in the first gave Toronto the early lead.
Texas answered back with a run in the bottom half of the first on a single by Adrian Beltre that scored Elvis Andrus after Andrus hit a one-out single and then stole second.
Michael Young then tied the game in the third with a sac fly that scored Ian Kinsler. Kinsler led off the inning with a single, stole second, and moved to third on a groundout by Andrus.
Toronto took the lead in the ninth against Oliver. Jose Molina grounded out to lead off the inning and was followed by back-to-back singles by John McDonald and pinch-hitter Yunel Escobar. McDonald went from first to third on Escobar's single and scored when Patterson laid down a first-pitch bunt that caught the Rangers' defense by surprise.
Toronto then loaded the bases when Jose Bautista worked a walk and scored two runs on consecutive errors during a Juan Rivera grounder to take a three-run lead.
Rivera hit an easy ground ball with two down in the direction of third baseman, Beltre, who had the ball bounce off his glove which allowed Escobar to take home. Also on the play, Bautista wandered off second base and Beltre threw to second where pitcher, Oliver, was covering, but Oliver failed to make the catch allowing Patterson to score as well.
Francisco threw a perfect ninth for the Jays to preserve the win.
Neither starter factored in the decision.
Brandon Morrow lasted six innings, allowing two runs on six hits and a walk while fanning six for Toronto, while Alexi Ogando went six innings for Texas in which he allowed two runs on four hits and three walks while striking out seven.
Bautista has now reached base safely in 21 of his 22 games this season...Texas left seven men on base...Rangers have dropped 10 of last 13 against the Blue Jays.
- TORONTO: 5
Apr 28 5:32 PM
- Juan Rivera reached first on Adrian Beltre's error. Yunel Escobar scores. On the play, Corey Patterson scores on Darren Oliver's error. On the play, Runners on first and second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 5, Rangers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 28 5:24 PM
- Corey Patterson bunt single to pitcher scored John McDonald. Runners on first and second with one out and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 3, Rangers 2 Top 9, 1 OutApr 28 5:18 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly out to right scored Ian Kinsler. None on with two outs and Adrian Beltre due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 28 3:01 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to center scored Elvis Andrus. Runner on first with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 28 2:28 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jose Bautista. Juan Rivera due up.
Blue Jays 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 28 2:14 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 2:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22