Cahill holds Rangers in checkApr 30, 2011 - 6:11 AM
Cahill (4-0) gave up seven hits and four walks, striking out four as the A's started their seven-game homestand on a winning note.
Grant Balfour stranded two runners in the eighth and Brian Fuentes shook off Michael Young's RBI single in the ninth to earn his seventh save.
C.J. Wilson (3-1) took the loss after allowing three runs -- one earned -- in seven good innings. He gave up eight hits and three walks, striking out three.
The Rangers, coming off a 5-5 homestand, fell to just 6-10 since opening the season 9-1. They started a seven-game road trip.
The A's stranded runners in scoring position in each of the first two innings -- they left nine players on base in the game -- but took a 1-0 lead when Kurt Suzuki delivered an RBI single with two outs in the third. Daric Barton scored after reaching on an error by centerfielder Julio Borbon.
"A big hit," said A's manager Bob Geren -- and his team got a couple more of those two innings later when Conor Jackson and Josh Willingham led off the fifth with back-to-back doubles to make it 2-0.
As it turned out, those were the only runs Oakland needed.
Cahill got out of a bases-loaded jam in the first inning, then didn't allow a runner to reach scoring position until Mitch Moreland singled David Murphy to second in the fourth.
"I didn't make too many adjustments. I think I made some quality pitches they just weren't swinging at," said Cahill.
He escaped trouble in the sixth and seventh and Oakland got an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh, sparked by singles from Barton and Willingham.
Suzuki grounded into a fielder's choice after that, but Barton scored when Texas second baseman Ian Kinsler threw past first trying to turn a double play. Willingham broke it up with a good slide.
Cahill threw 62 of his 100 pitches for strikes and lowered his ERA to 1.88...The A's won despite being out-hit by Texas 11-8.
- TEXAS: 1
Apr 30 12:49 AM
- Michael Young single to right scored Elvis Andrus with two outs. Runner on first and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 1, Athletics 3 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 30 12:47 AM
- Kurt Suzuki grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second On the play, Daric Barton scored on Ian Kinsler's throwing error with two outs. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 30 12:15 AM
- Josh Willingham double to center scored Conor Jackson with none out. Runner on second and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsApr 29 11:36 PM
- Kurt Suzuki singled to left scored Daric Barton. Runners on first and second with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Rangers 0, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 29 11:02 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 10:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22