Granderson goes deep twice, Yanks beat RangersMay 7, 2011 - 5:49 AM
Nova (3-2) was charged with an unearned run in 7 1/3 innings, helping the Yankees avoid a fourth consecutive loss. The right-hander scattered two hits and walked one.
"We needed a lift after the way we played in Detroit, losing three games in a row after winning the first one off of (Justin) Verlander," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
The struggles continued for Texas starter Matt Harrison (3-4), who absorbed his fourth straight loss after surrendering three runs on four hits and walked five over six innings.
Texas has dropped seven of nine overall.
"We'll come out tomorrow and show up and try to play the best as we possibly can and try to put some runs on the board," said Rangers manager Ron Washington.
Derek Jeter opened the game with a single to right field and Granderson followed with a blast to right-center for a 2-0 New York lead. Jeter sat out Thursday's setback in Detroit after leaving the previous contest with a sore right hip.
Harrison walked both Jorge Posada and Russell Martin to begin the second. Two batters later, Jeter hit a bouncer up the middle that deflected off Harrison. The left-hander's errant throw to first allowed a runner to score.
Granderson's one-out shot to right in the seventh off Ryan Tucker put the visitors up 4-0.
After Mike Napoli drew a one-out walk in the eighth, New York first baseman Mark Teixeira booted a ball hit by Mitch Moreland. Rafael Soriano replaced Nova and struck out Chris Davis before Julio Borbon grounded an RBI single to right. Ian Kinsler flied out to end the inning.
Mariano Rivera closed the door in the ninth for his 12th save of the season.
Jeter played in his 2,302nd career game at shortstop for the Yankees, matching Cal Ripken's mark for most games at the position with one team...Granderson leads the club with 10 home runs this season...New York placed infielder Eric Chavez on the 15-day disabled Friday with a fractured fifth metatarsal in his left foot and recalled infielder Ramiro Pena from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes- Barre...The Rangers reinstated closer Neftali Feliz (shoulder inflammation) from the 15-day DL on Friday and optioned catcher Taylor Teagarden to Triple-A Round Rock...New York won two of three at home against Texas last month.
- NEW YORK: 4
May 6 10:55 PM
- Julio Borbon single to right scored Mike Napoli with two out. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Yankees 4, Rangers 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 6 10:32 PM
- Curtis Granderson one-out, solo Home Run 2 (10) to right. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 4, Rangers 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 6 10:01 PM
- Derek Jeter reached first on Matt Harrison's throwing error scored Russell Martin with one out. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Runners on second and third and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 3, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 6 8:36 PM
- Mark Teixeira grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 6 8:12 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22