Rangers top Weaver, AngelsMay 14, 2011 - 5:05 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Elvis Andrus homered and drove in two, as Texas brought down the Angels, 4-1, in the opener of a three-game series.
Adrian Beltre also hit a home run and Michael Young added an RBI for the Rangers, who have won two in a row.
Alexi Ogando (4-0) allowed five hits and one run, fanning five over 6 1/3 innings for the win. Neftali Feliz turned in a scoreless ninth to earn his seventh save.
Erick Aybar's solo shot provided the lone offense for the Angels, who have lost three of four. Aybar extended his career-best hit streak to 11 games.
Jered Weaver (6-3) served up seven hits and four runs in defeat, but struck out six and walked only one batter over six full frames.
"It's a little frustrating. Any time you lose you're going to be a little upset with yourself," Weaver said.
Back-to-back doubles from Ian Kinsler and Young to start the fourth put Texas ahead to stay.
Mike Napoli worked a leadoff walk in the fifth and later scored on an Andrus base hit to make it 3-1, then Beltre's one-out solo blast in the sixth provided a three-run margin.
"We were able to capitalize on some of the mistakes [Weaver] made," Beltre said.
Ogando departed with a runner on first with one out in the seventh, but Cody Eppley retired the next two batters. Darren Oliver retired the side in order in the eighth and Feliz managed to keep the Halos at bay in the ninth despite a single and walk.
Andrus gave the Rangers a lead with his first-inning solo shot, then Aybar equalized in the third for the Angels.
Texas improved to 21-14 all-time on Friday the 13th...Rangers center fielder Julio Borbon left the game in the seventh inning with an apparent leg injury...LA took two of three in Arlington from April 18-20...Ogando is the only pitcher in the majors this season to record six starts of six-or-more innings, while allowing two runs or less and five hits or less...Andrus' homer was his first since April 4....Feliz has converted his last 18 regular-season save opportunities, and is 11-for-11 in save chances against LA in his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
May 13 10:39 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, solo Home Run (9) to center. David Murphy due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 13 9:50 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Mike Napoli with two outs. Runner on first and Ian Kinsler due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 13 9:31 PM
- Michael Young double to right scored Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 13 9:08 PM
- Bobby Abreu grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Angels 1, Rangers 1 Mid 3May 13 8:49 PM
- Michael Young singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 13 8:24 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 13 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22