Angels slip past RangersMay 15, 2011 - 3:58 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Maicer Izturis' go-ahead RBI single in the ninth inning led the Angels past the Rangers, 3-2, in the second contest of a three-game series.
Alberto Callaspo doubled twice and drove in two runs for Los Angeles, which had dropped the opener of this set, 4-1. Scott Downs (1-0) earned the win in relief of Dan Haren, who limited the Rangers to two runs on six hits in 7 2/3 innings.
Darren Oliver (1-4) gave up the deciding run to take the loss, which dropped the Rangers to 4-8 in May.
Oliver took the mound with the game knotted, 2-2, and gave up a leadoff single to Jeff Mathis, who moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. A groundout to short kept Mathis at second base, but Bobby Abreu worked a walk to extend the inning.
Izturis followed by lacing a single to left, plating Mathis. Jordan Walden then worked a 1-2-3 bottom half for his seventh save.
"I got to give those guys credit for the way they battled and came back," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "We tied the ballgame up and we had the guy in there that we wanted in there at the time, and they got him. You know, they beat us."
Adrian Beltre's RBI single in the second inning staked Texas starter Derek Holland to an early edge. Holland gave up the lead on RBI doubles by Callaspo in the fourth and sixth, but those were the only runs he allowed.
In six full innings, Holland surrendered six hits, walked three, and struck out four.
The Angels held the 2-1 lead until the eighth, when Ian Kinsler doubled with two away, ending Haren's outing. Fernando Rodney then entered and immediately gave up a single to Michael Young, plating Kinsler for a 2-2 game.
Downs came in to get the final out of the inning.
"The team bounced back and scored a run and we won the game. So I'll sleep good tonight. Those are the real tough ones when you come out on the wrong end of those," said Haren.
Haren struck out five and didn't walk a batter...Despite recording the win, the Angels left 10 on base and went 2-for-13 with runners in scoring position...Beltre led Texas with two hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 14 7:03 PM
- Torii Hunter flied out to right to end the inning.
Angels 3, Rangers 2 Mid 9May 14 6:54 PM
- Michael Young singled to short scored Ian Kinsler. Runner on first with two outs and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 14 6:39 PM
- Alberto Callaspo doubled to left scored Howie Kendrick.. Runner on second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Rangers 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 14 5:49 PM
- Alberto Callaspo doubled to right scored Maicer Izturis. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 14 5:13 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to right scored Mitch Moreland. Runner on first with none out and David Murphy due up.
Angels 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 14 4:38 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 4:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22