Royals use long ball to beat Rangers in extrasMay 28, 2011 - 6:28 AM
Alex Gordon had a game-tying homer in the ninth for the Royals, who snapped a five-game losing streak. Brayan Pena added a three-run shot during the final frame to create a comfortable lead as Kansas City's final six runs were scored on home runs.
Kansas City starting pitcher Nathan Adcock did not fair well, allowing seven runs in 2 2/3 innings. However, the bullpen buckled down to pitch 11 1/3 scoreless innings and Blake Wood (2-0) tossed a perfect 13th to get the win.
"The bullpen deserves all the credit. Thanks to them we were able to come away with the victory," Pena said.
Texas scored all its runs during the first two innings, highlighted by Ian Kinsler's solo shot and David Murphy's two-run homer.
Dave Bush (0-1) gave up all five runs in the 14th to suffer the loss, the Rangers' second in three games.
There were 13 runs scored during the first two innings. and then zeros stretched across the board until the ninth.
Trailing 7-6, Gordon ripped a second-deck shot in right field off Neftali Feliz to knot the game, and the Rangers left the bases loaded when Nelson Cruz was caught looking at the third strike to send the game into extras.
Kansas City's offense finally broke out in the 14th with five runs to run away with the win.
The Royals came out firing to start the game with three straight doubles by Gordon, Cabrera and Hosmer. Two runs scored during that span while Wilson Betemit singled in Hosmer three batters later.
However, Texas countered with a five-run bottom half.
Kinsler started it off with a homer into the right field seats. Following an Elvis Andrus groundout, Josh Hamilton ripped a double and scored on Michael Young's two-bagger. Young scored on a Cruz groundout just before Murphy ended the burst with a two-run shot.
Kansas City put up three more runs in the second to recapture the lead. Hosmer had a bases-loaded single to score two runs, and Billy Butler had an RBI single later in the inning.
Again, Texas countered with two runs during the bottom half to reclaim the lead.
Leadoff man Kinsler started the half with a walk and scored on Andrus' single and a throwing error by right fielder Jeff Francoeur. Andrus then touched home on Hamilton's groundout to take a 7-6 lead.
From there the game settled down as Texas starting pitcher Colby Lewis lasted six innings, allowing six runs -- four earned -- on seven hits.
"I never thought he would make it to the sixth, but he did. I tip my hat to him," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of his starter.
Meanwhile the Royals used six pitchers to close out the game. Felipe Paulino, acquired from Colorado for cash considerations on Thursday, hurled 4 1/3 one- hit innings with three strikeouts to relieve Adcock.
Kansas City has played in 12 extra inning games this season and is 6-6...It was the longest game for either team this season...Game time was 4:36... Texas left 12 runners on base and went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position...The loss snapped the Rangers' eight-game home winning streak against the Royals.
- KANSAS CITY: 12
May 28 12:47 AM
- Chris Getz grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Royals 12, Rangers 7 Mid 14May 28 12:38 AM
- Jeff Francoeur grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 9, Rangers 7 Top 14, 2 OutsMay 28 12:32 AM
- Melky Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 8, Rangers 7 Top 14, 1 OutMay 28 12:30 AM
- Alex Gordon one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Melky Cabrera due up.
Royals 7, Rangers 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 10:54 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded out second to first, scoring Elvis Andrus with one out. None on and Michael Young due up.
Royals 6, Rangers 7 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 27 9:07 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to right. On the play, Andrus advances to third on Jeff Francoeur's throwing error, scoring Ian Kinsler with none out. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Royals 6, Rangers 6 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 27 9:05 PM
- Wilson Betemit grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Royals 6, Rangers 5 Mid 2May 27 8:57 PM
- Eric Hosmer single to center scored Chris Getz and Alcides Escobar with one out. On the play, Alex Gordon advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Royals 5, Rangers 5 Top 2, 1 OutMay 27 8:54 PM
- David Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Adrian Beltre. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Royals 3, Rangers 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 27 8:36 PM
- Michael Young double to left center scored Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on second and Adrian Beltre due up.
Royals 3, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 27 8:29 PM
- Elvis Andrus grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Royals 3, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 27 8:24 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Royals 3, Rangers 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 27 8:22 PM
- Eric Hosmer double to left scored Melky Cabrera with none out. Runner on second and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Royals 2, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 27 8:12 PM
- Melky Cabrera double to center scored Alex Gordon with none out. Runner on second and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 27 8:10 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22