Longoria's homer lifts Rays over RangersJun 1, 2011 - 2:08 AM
Matt Joyce hit a two-run shot in the seventh, while Sean Rodriguez added a solo homer for the Rays, who have won three of their last five.
Alex Cobb, making his second big league start, allowed three runs on four hits, walked four and struck out as many in 6 1/3 innings. Joel Peralta (2-3) picked up the win despite allowing a run to score on a wild pitch in the top of the eighth. Kyle Farnsworth threw a perfect ninth to secure the win and register his 10th save of the season.
Michael Young, Ian Kinsler and Adrian Beltre each knocked in a run for Texas, which had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Starter C.J. Wilson worked 6 2/3 innings, yielding three runs on three hits while walking four and fanning 10.
Beltre's run-scoring single in the third gave the Rangers a brief lead, but Rodriguez tied it in the home half on a towering shot to left.
Following the homer, Wilson retired the next 10 batters and his teammates scored two in the seventh on RBI singles by Kinsler and Young to put the Rangers in front, 3-1.
In the bottom half, Longoria led off with a single and three batters later Joyce hammered an 0-1 fastball over the right field wall to tie the score.
Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland started the eighth with back-to-back singles off J.P. Howell. Peralta entered and retired the next two hitters, but with runners now on second and third, the righty walked Kinsler and in the process uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Cruz to scamper home for a 4-3 lead.
Arthur Rhodes (3-3) replaced Mark Lowe with two outs in the bottom of the eighth and gave up a single to Johnny Damon before Longoria took him deep to left for the go-ahead runs.
Tampa won four of its six meetings with the Rangers last season...The Rangers went 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10, while Tampa Bay left only three men on base.
- TEXAS: 4
TAMPA BAY: 5
May 31 9:36 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Johnny Damon. B.J. Upton due up.
Rangers 4, Rays 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 31 9:26 PM
- TEXAS: 4
TAMPA BAY: 3
Top 8, 2 Outs
Rangers 4, Rays 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 31 9:12 PM
- Matt Joyce two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored B.J. Upton. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rangers 3, Rays 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 31 8:46 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rangers 3, Rays 1 Mid 7May 31 8:38 PM
- Ian Kinsler single to center scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Ian Kinsler advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Andres Blanco due up.
Rangers 2, Rays 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 31 8:26 PM
- Johnny Damon struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rangers 1, Rays 1 End 3May 31 7:39 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to center scored Josh Hamilton On the play, Michael Young advances to third and Adrian Beltre advanced to second on the throw. Runners on second and third with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Rays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 31 7:33 PM
- TEXAS: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 6:41 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22