Home runs back Wilson as Rangers sweep IndiansJun 5, 2011 - 11:31 PM
Wilson (6-3) gave up three hits to go with seven strikeouts and two walks for the Rangers, who completed a four-game sweep of the Indians in Cleveland for the first time since August of 1978.
"I used every pitch I had," Wilson said. "I didn't try to play country hardball and just throw the ball by people. I threw everything I had."
In the process, Texas swept a four-game series on the road for the first time since earning victories in all four games at the Metrodome from April 22-25, 1999.
David Murphy had three hits for the Rangers, who went 6-1 on a seven-game road trip.
Mitch Talbot (2-2) gave up two runs on eight hits over six-plus frames for the Indians, who have lost nine of their last 12 games.
The Rangers gave Wilson some early support. Moreland hit a solo homer to center in the second and Andrus led off the third with homer to left to make it 2-0.
Cleveland's first hit of the game came in the fourth. Michael Brantley led off with a single to right, but Wilson got Orlando Cabrera to ground into a double play. Asdrubal Cabrera flied out to end the inning.
Wilson continued to cruise along on the mound for Texas. The Indians' second hit of the game came in the seventh on Carlos Santana's one-out double to center. But Wilson retired the next two batters to keep Cleveland off the board.
Matt LaPorta made it three hits for the Indians with a single in the eighth. Wilson retired the next two batters before handing the ball over to Darren Oliver.
Neftali Feliz tossed a perfect ninth for his 13th save of the season.
"These guys just came in and outplayed us," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "They have a very good team, and they came in here and showed us why they are the American League champs. They have a very good ballclub. They're talented up and down, and very deep, too."
The Rangers have won 16 of their last 19 versus the Indians, going 11-2 at Progressive Field in that time...Andrus and Moreland both had two hits.
- TEXAS: 2
Jun 5 3:46 PM
- Elvis Andrus lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Michael Young is due up.
Rangers 2, Indians 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 5 1:41 PM
- Mike Napoli struck out looking. None on with two outs and David Murphy due up.
Rangers 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 5 1:27 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 1:06 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22