Teixeira, Yankees pummel RangersJun 16, 2011 - 5:10 AM
Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena each had two hits, including solo homers, while Robinson Cano added a three-run shot for the Yankees, winners in five of their last six games.
Ivan Nova (6-4) was credited with the win after giving up four runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 innings.
Derek Holland (5-2) was blasted for six runs on seven hits and five walks in his five innings of work for Texas, which has been outscored 38-10 during a season-high four-game losing streak.
"We need somebody to go out there and pitch a good game," a frustrated Ron Washington said of his Rangers club.
Josh Hamilton went 3-for-5 with a run scored and another driven in, while Ian Kinsler homered, singled and walked twice in a losing effort.
Andruw Jones broke a 4-4 tie with an RBI single in the fifth and scored later in the frame on a Francisco Cervelli base hit.
The two-run lead held up in the top of the sixth after Cervelli received Curtis Granderson's throw on Elvis Andrus' two-out hit to center and blocked home plate to prevent Yorvit Torrealba from scoring from second.
Mark Lowe relieved Holland in the bottom half and was greeted by Pena's first home run since September 29, 2009. Two batters after Nick Swisher walked, Teixeira belted his second home run of the game, this time from the left side after hammering one as a right-handed hitter in the first inning.
"It's not easy, that's why I think it's so special," said Teixeira of going deep from both sides of the plate.
Teixeira's second homer was his 21st of the year, tying him with Granderson and Toronto's Jose Bautista for the major league lead.
Cano tacked on a three-run homer off Neftali Feliz in the eighth to punctuate the rout.
Both teams scored twice in their first at-bat. Hamilton's RBI single and Michael Young's run-scoring groundout gave Texas a short-lived lead, as Teixeira followed a Granderson plunking with a no-doubter to left.
Kinsler followed Granderson's RBI groundout in the second with a leadoff home run to center in the third. Adrian Beltre's sacrifice fly later in the inning plated Hamilton for a 4-3 lead.
Nunez, who turned 24 on Wednesday, tied the game again in the fourth with a solo blast to left.
Teixeira has homered from both sides of the plate in the same game 11 times in his career, tying Chili Davis and Eddie Murray for the most such games all time. This was the 31st multi-home run game of his career...Holland's only two losses this year have come against the Yankees. He fell to 0-4 lifetime against them...Alex Rodriguez scored the go-ahead run on Jones' single in the fifth and in doing so tied Ted Williams for 16th place all time in runs scored (1,799)...Young went 1-for-3 and has a 17-game regular season hitting streak in New York, one behind the longest stretch by an opponent there since 1950...The Yankees hit five home runs and collected five steals for the first time in the live ball era (since 1920)...The Yankees lead the season series, 6-2.
- TEXAS: 4
NEW YORK: 12
Jun 15 10:30 PM
- Robinson Cano one-out, three-run Home Run (14) to right scored Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira. Brett Gardner due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 12 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 15 10:17 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (21) to right scored Nick Swisher. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 15 9:30 PM
- Ramiro Pena lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 15 9:24 PM
- Francisco Cervelli singled to center scoring Andruw Jones. On the play, Eduardo Nunez was tagged out at third, center to third to end the inning.
Rangers 4, Yankees 6 End 5Jun 15 9:05 PM
- Andruw Jones singled to left scoring Alex Rodriguez. Runner on second with two outs and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 15 8:57 PM
- Eduardo Nunez lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Francisco Cervelli due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 15 8:29 PM
- Adrian Beltre sacrifice fly out to center scored Josh Hamilton. Runner on first with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 4, Yankees 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 15 8:00 PM
- Elvis Andrus grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 3, Yankees 3 Top 3, 1 OutJun 15 7:54 PM
- Curtis Granderson grounded out third to first scoring Ramiro Pena. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Teixeira due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 15 7:49 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Curtis Granderson. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 15 7:24 PM
- Michael Young grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Elvis Andrus. Josh Hamilton out at second. Runner on first with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 15 7:16 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to left scoring Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 15 7:15 PM
- TEXAS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22