Yankees win in 12th, sweep RangersJun 16, 2011 - 11:54 PM
In the 12th with Michael Kirkman (1-1) on the mound, Granderson led off with a single to right and Robinson Cano was later hit in the hand by a pitch. Gardner then dropped a single into right field with one out and Granderson scored without a play at the plate.
"The pitch wasn't where I wanted it, but it was still in a good location," Kirkman said. "It broke his bat and just scooted through the infield, a seeing-eye single. That won the ball game for them."
Gardner made a winner of Cory Wade (1-0), who threw two perfect innings for the Yankees, winners in six of their last seven games.
Granderson finished the game 3-for-5 with a run scored, Cano was 2-for-4 with two runs scored while Jorge Posada and Russell Martin each drove in a run in the win.
Brian Gordon was called up prior to the game by New York to make the first start of his career. He went 5 1/3 innings and was charged with two runs on seven hits with three walks and three strikeouts. Gordon had appeared in three games as a reliever for Texas in 2008, but the rest of his 15 professional careers have been spent in the minors with five different organizations.
"There's been a lot of highs in my career, there's been a lot of lows," Gordon said. "This has got to be at the top of all the highs. This is a very special day, for myself and my family."
Ian Kinsler and Adrian Beltre each drove in a run for the Rangers, who have dropped their past five games. C.J. Wilson went eight innings in the start and gave up just two runs on seven hits along with three walks and 10 strikeouts.
The second inning saw the Yanks take the lead. Cano led off with a single and Andruw Jones followed with a walk. After Posada hit into a double play, Martin singled to center to score Cano for a 1-0 lead.
New York had runners on second and third with one out in the third, but Wilson struck out Cano and Jones to end the frame.
After stranding men on first and third in the fourth, the Rangers took the lead in the fifth. Taylor Teagarden led off with a walk and Endy Chavez followed with a single. A Kinsler double brought home Teagarden. A bit later with the bases loaded, Beltre was hit by a pitch to bring home Chavez for a 2-1 lead.
The Yankees, though, tied the game in the sixth as Cano led off with a walk and, two batters later, Posada doubled to left-center to bring home Cano.
New York had a chance to win the game in the ninth as the team loaded the bases with one out, but Granderson swung at a bad pitch on a full count and Mark Teixeira grounded out to send the game to extras.
The Yankees have taken seven of the nine games against the Rangers this season...Interleague play begins on Friday as the Yankees will travel to Chicago to take on the Cubs while the Rangers play three games in Atlanta...New York stranded 13 men while Texas left 10 runners on base...The Yankess improved to 4-4 in extra inning games this season while the Rangers fell to 1-4.
- TEXAS: 2
NEW YORK: 3
Jun 16 5:04 PM
- Brett Gardner single to right scored Curtis Granderson with one out to end the game.
Rangers 2, Yankees 3 Bot 12, 1 OutJun 16 5:03 PM
- Russell Martin grounded out second to first. On the play, Jorge Posada advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 16 3:09 PM
- Adrian Beltre hit-by-pitch scored Endy Chavez with two out. Bases loaded and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 2, Yankees 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 16 2:35 PM
- Ian Kinsler double to left scored Taylor Teagarden with none out. On the play, Endy Chavez advances to third. Runners on second and third with Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 1, Yankees 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 16 2:26 PM
- Russell Martin single to center scored Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on first and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Rangers 0, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 1:39 PM
- TEXAS: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 1:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22