Rangers score early, hold off AstrosJun 21, 2011 - 5:38 AM
The Rangers plated seven runs in the first three innings to support Derek Holland (6-2), who limited the Astros to three runs in 7 1/3 innings. He gave up six hits, walked three and struck out four.
"I just executed better tonight," Holland said. "My defense made plays for me and the offense kept doing what they do. For me, it was just better execution."
Adrian Beltre finished with three hits and two RBI for Texas, which has won three of four.
J.A. Happ (3-9) allowed the seven early runs -- five of which were earned -- as the Astros fell to 6-13 in June.
"I just wasn't getting strike one," Happ said. "When I'm ahead in the count there's different swings. Obviously the results were not good tonight."
Texas' scoring burst began in the first inning, when Ian Kinsler reached on a fielding error by third baseman Chris Johnson and moved to second on Hamilton's one-out single.
Beltre followed with a single to left to plate Kinsler, and Michael Young crushed a fly ball to the left-center gap. Michael Bourn just missed making a diving catch, allowing Hamilton to score and Young to land on second.
Nelson Cruz's sacrifice fly made it a 3-0 game.
The Rangers tacked on three more runs in the second inning, after putting two on with two away. Hamilton belted a pitch deep to left-center, and again Bourn tracked the ball. But he couldn't make the catch as he hit the wall, and Hamilton got around the bases to third.
Beltre's subsequent single put Texas up 6-0, while Craig Gentry's RBI double in the third chased Happ.
Houston got on the scoreboard in the fourth, when Carlos Lee hit a sacrifice fly and Jason Michaels added an RBI single. But Holland limited the damage to those two runs.
He gave up two singles in the eighth before being pulled, and Mark Lowe gave up a run-scoring base hit to Michaels before getting out of the inning.
Mitch Moreland began the bottom half with his ninth homer of the season.
In a season-low 2 2/3 innings, Happ gave up eight hits and walked one. He has dropped his last five decisions...Gentry also finished with three hits for the Rangers...Texas is 11-2 vs. Houston since the start of the 2009 season.
- HOUSTON: 3
Jun 20 10:55 PM
- Taylor Teagarden flied out to right. None on with one out and Craig Gentry due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 20 10:40 PM
- Jason Michaels single to center scored Jason Bourgeois with two out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 20 10:31 PM
- Jason Michaels single to right scored Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on first and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 7 Top 4, 1 OutJun 20 9:25 PM
- Carlos Lee sacrifice fly to right scored Michael Bourn with one out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advanced to third. Runner on third and Jason Michaels due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 7 Top 4, 1 OutJun 20 9:24 PM
- Craig Gentry double to left scored Mitch Moreland with two out. Runner on second and Ian Kinsler due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 20 9:13 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to center scored Josh Hamilton with two out. Runner on first and Michael Young due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 8:53 PM
- Josh Hamilton triple to left scored Craig Gentry and Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on third and Adrian Beltre due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 8:52 PM
- Nelson Cruz sacrifice fly to center scored Adrian Beltre with two out. Runner on second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 20 8:28 PM
- Michael Young double to left scored Josh Hamilton with one out. On the play, Adrian Beltre advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 20 8:26 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Ian Kinsler with one out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Young due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 20 8:24 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21