Moreland's blast in 11th boosts Rangers over AstrosJun 22, 2011 - 5:41 AM
Del Rosario (0-2) had held Texas off the scoreboard for 2 1/3 innings, but delivered a flat pitch belt-high and over the inside part of the plate. Moreland turned on the ball with a quick, powerful swing and sent it soaring deep over the fence, a no-doubt winner.
"I was happy to be able to come through and do it," Moreland said. "It was a lot of fun, but it's good to get the series out of the way for us."
Josh Hamilton smacked a game-tying homer in the eighth and made a nice defensive play in the 11th for the Rangers, who rallied from a two-run deficit to win for the fourth time in five games.
Michael Bourn and Jeff Keppinger both had three hits and two RBI for the Astros, who have dropped six of eight.
Most of the game's scoring occurred in the early innings. Bourn doubled and scored on Keppinger's base hit in the first, and Texas' Michael Young began the second inning with a home run to right.
In the third, consecutive doubles by Jason Bourgeois and Bourn plated another Astros run. Keppinger singled home Bourn again to make it a 3-1 game, though the Rangers got one of those runs back in the fourth on a blast by Nelson Cruz.
Texas starter C.J. Wilson reached the seventh without allowing another run, but gave up singles to Clint Barmes, Bourgeois and Bourn. Bourn's hit was deflected by Moreland, the first baseman, allowing Barmes to score and forcing a pitching change. Mark Lowe came in to get the final out.
Wilson allowed a total of 11 hits in his 6 2/3 innings, and struck out four.
Like Wilson, Astros starter Jordan Lyles settled down before running into more trouble in the seventh. After Taylor Teagarden singled, Endy Chavez tripled over right fielder Bourgeois' head to pull the Rangers within 4-3.
"No one wants to lose, guys are going out there trying their best to get guys out," Lyles said. "Sometimes it just doesn't fall the way you want it to."
They tied the game in the following inning, when Hamilton led off by drilling Sergio Escalona's 90 mph fastball over the right field fence.
Texas' bullpen then gave the offense multiple chances to win the game by keeping Houston off the scoreboard. Neftali Feliz threw two scoreless innings before Yoshinori Tateyama (1-0) tossed a shutout 11th.
He walked Chris Johnson with one out but got some help from Hamilton, who slid to catch Brett Wallace's sinking liner in left field.
Moreland recorded the first walkoff hit of his career...Cruz was hit in the right forearm in the eighth inning, but stayed in the game...Young ended with three hits for the Rangers...Bourn stole two bases to increase his MLB-leading total to 32.
- HOUSTON: 4
Jun 21 11:23 PM
- Mitch Moreland lead-off Home Run (10) to right to end the game.
Astros 4, Rangers 5 Bot 11, 0 OutsJun 21 11:22 PM
- Fernando Rodriguez enters the game for the Astros with none on and none out.
Astros 4, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 21 10:18 PM
- Endy Chavez triple to right scored Taylor Teagarden with two out. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Astros 4, Rangers 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 21 10:03 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to right, deflected by first scored Clint Barmes with two out. On the play, Jason Bourgeois advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Astros 4, Rangers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 21 9:50 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Mitch Moreland due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 21 9:09 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to left scored Michael Bourn with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 21 8:47 PM
- Michael Bourn double to left scored Jason Bourgeois with one out. Runner on second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 21 8:44 PM
- Michael Young lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 21 8:34 PM
- Jason Michaels grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Jeff Keppinger out at second to end the inning.
Astros 1, Rangers 0 Mid 1Jun 21 8:18 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 8:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21