Marlins knock out Holland early, outslug RangersJul 3, 2011 - 5:31 AM
Ramirez's slam came as part of a five-run first inning when the Marlins knocked out starting pitcher Derek Holland, on the way to a third win in four games.
The Marlins lost the series opener, 15-5, Friday night, but they got the big early start on Saturday and snapped a five-game skid against the Rangers.
Brad Hand, who was recalled from Double-A Jacksonville before the game, lasted just 3 1/3 innings in the start for the Marlins. He allowed four hits and a pair of runs. Steve Cishek (1-1) threw 2 2/3 relief innings to get his first major league win.
"It feels good. Actually, I didn't even realize it until the players were coming in and Gaby [Sanchez] gave me the ball," said Cishek about the win.
Josh Hamilton belted a pair of homers and Ian Kinsler also went deep for the Rangers, who couldn't overcome Holland's (6-4) horrendous start, the shortest of his career. He was lifted with two outs in the opening inning after throwing just 46 pitches. The top of the first inning lasted 28 minutes.
"Today was just not his day," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "As a ball player, some days you go through that. It's just bad for the team that we had to go to the bullpen so early."
Tommy Hunter received plenty of cheers in his season debut. The right-hander, who was activated from the 15-day disabled list Friday, limited the Marlins to one earned run over the next 4 2/3 innings. Hunter was pitching on the eve of his 25th birthday. He strained his right groin March 24 during a spring training contest.
Emilio Bonifacio walked, and Omar Infante and Gaby Sanchez followed with base hit to set the stage for Ramirez, who went the opposite way for his sixth homer of the year. The shot to right came on a 3-2 pitch. Wes Helms doubled in John Buck later in the inning, and that was all for Holland.
Sanchez hit a sacrifice fly in the second before the Rangers got on the board in the third thanks to homers from Kinsler and Hamilton.
Hamilton homered to left with Elvis Andrus on base in the fifth to get the Rangers within 6-4, but the Marlins widened the gap in the sixth on Infante's sacrifice fly.
Ramirez dropped a pop-up off the bat of Kinsler in the bottom half of the frame, leading to a run and a 7-5 margin, but Ramirez and Logan Morrison hit back-to-back homers off Darren O'Day to start the seventh.
O'Day, who was on the 60-day disabled list due to a partial tear of the labrum in his left hip, was activated on Saturday.
The Marlins placed right-handed reliever Ryan Webb on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 27, with right shoulder inflammation. They also designated infielder Jose Lopez for assignment and recalled outfielder Bryan Petersen from Triple-A New Orleans...To make room for O'Day, Texas optioned pitcher Michael Kirkman to Triple-A Round Rock...Hamilton hit multiple home runs in a game for the fourth time in his career and first since September 1, 2009 vs. Toronto (Game 2)...Andrus reached 25 stolen bases for a third straight season, joining Bump Wills (4 straight, 1977-80) and Dave Nelson (3, 1972-74) as the only Rangers to ever have three straight seasons of 25-plus steals...Kinsler homered for the fourth time in his last five games...This was the fifth career grand slam for Ramirez.
- FLORIDA: 9
Jul 2 11:30 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (11) to right center. Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 9, Rangers 5 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 2 10:43 PM
- Hanley Ramirez lead off Home Run 2 (7) to left. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 8, Rangers 5 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 2 10:42 PM
- Ian Kinsler stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Elvis Andrus at the plate.
Marlins 7, Rangers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 2 10:35 PM
- Omar Infante sacrifice fly out to right scored Wes Helms. On the play, Bryan Petersen advances to third. Runners on first and third and with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 7, Rangers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 2 10:21 PM
- Josh Hamilton none-out, two-run Home Run 2 (10) to left scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Marlins 6, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 2 10:02 PM
- Adrian Beltre walked. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Marlins 6, Rangers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 2 9:22 PM
- Ian Kinsler one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Elvis Andrus due up.
Marlins 6, Rangers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 2 9:19 PM
- Hanley Ramirez popped out to second to end the inning.
Marlins 6, Rangers 0 Mid 2Jul 2 8:58 PM
- Wes Helms doubled to center scored John Buck. Runner on second with two outs and Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 5, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 2 8:31 PM
- Hanley Ramirez none-out, Grand Slam (6) to right scored Emilio Bonifacio, Omar Infante and Gaby Sanchez. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 4, Rangers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 2 8:22 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22