Marlins rally past RangersJul 4, 2011 - 5:10 AM
Emilio Bonifacio went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who went 5-4 on a nine-game road trip. Mike Stanton and Gaby Sanchez each knocked in a run.
Florida starter Javier Vazquez gave up two runs on six hits over six-plus innings. Michael Dunn (5-5) allowed one unearned run on one hit over 1 1/3 innings of relief.
Nelson Cruz and Adrian Beltre hit solo homers for the Rangers, who have lost three of four. Cruz and Beltre had three hits apiece.
Texas starter C.J. Wilson gave up two runs -- one earned -- on five hits over 7 1/3 innings. Mark Lowe (2-2) allowed two unearned runs in the eighth to take the loss.
Cruz and Beltre hit solo homers in the second and fourth, respectively, to give Texas an early 2-0 lead.
The Marlins didn't get to Wilson until the sixth inning. Bonifacio used his speed to reach base on an infield single, moved to second on Omar Infante's groundout, and scored when Sanchez followed with a single to left to make it a 2-1 game.
It all fell apart for the Rangers in the top of the eighth. Bryan Petersen led off with a double to left-center field and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. After Lowe took over for Wilson, Infante grounded out and Sanchez walked to put men on the corners. Hanley Ramirez then reached first on shortstop Elvis Andrus' fielding error, which allowed Petersen to score.
Darren Oliver was called in from the bullpen to face Morrison, who hit a two-run double to right. Neftali Feliz was then brought in to see if his luck would be better, but Stanton greeted him with an RBI single to center to give Florida a 5-2 edge.
"We have a good feeling right now," Petersen said.
Texas got a run back in the home eighth. Dunn gave up a one-out single to Ian Kinsler before Burke Badenhop came in from the bullpen and walked Andrus. Randy Choate took his turn on the hill, getting Josh Hamilton to fly out. Edward Mujica was then called in to face Beltre, who drove in a run with an infield single, but Michael Young grounded out to end the inning.
Bonifacio's RBI single in the ninth made it a 6-3 game.
Leo Nunez picked up his 23rd save in the home ninth despite giving up an RBI triple to David Murphy.
"This group has heart and we're a confident team," Young said. "We expect things to turn around for us."
Texas outfielder Hamilton (starter), third baseman Beltre, Wilson and designated hitter Young were named to the AL All-Star team on Sunday. Marlins first baseman Sanchez made the NL All-Star squad as a reserve...Texas first base coach Gary Pettis and manager Ron Washington were ejected by first base umpire Angel Hernandez for arguing in the bottom of the seventh inning...Lowe suffered his second blown save of the season.
- FLORIDA: 6
Jul 3 11:18 PM
- David Murphy triple to left scored Nelson Cruz with two outs. Runner on third and Ian Kinsler due up.
Marlins 6, Rangers 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 3 11:16 PM
- Emilio Bonifacio single to center scored Wes Helms with two outs. On the play, Bonifacio advances to third on Josh Hamilton's throwing error. Runner on third and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 6, Rangers 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 3 11:04 PM
- Adrian Beltre infield single to short scored Ian Kinsler with two outs. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael Young due up.
Marlins 5, Rangers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 3 10:55 PM
- Mike Stanton caught stealing second to end the inning.
Marlins 5, Rangers 2 Mid 8Jul 3 10:39 PM
- Logan Morrison double to right scored Gaby Sanchez and Hanley Ramirez with two outs. Runner on second and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 4, Rangers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 3 10:34 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to short scored Bryan Petersen with two outs. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 2, Rangers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 3 10:29 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to left scored Emilio Bonifacio with one out. On the play, Sanchez advances to second on David Murphy's fielding error. Runner on second and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 1, Rangers 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 3 9:42 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Michael Young due up.
Marlins 0, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 3 9:10 PM
- Nelson Cruz one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Mitch Moreland due up.
Marlins 0, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 3 8:40 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22