Angels edge RangersJul 22, 2011 - 12:16 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Howie Kendrick scored the game's lone run on an error in the second inning, ruining Rangers starter C.J. Wilson's complete- game two-hitter, as Los Angeles nipped Texas, 1-0, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Wilson (10-4) was the epitome of the hard-luck loser, allowing that unearned run and a walk while fanning eight.
Jered Weaver (13-4) picked up the win after yielding seven hits and two walks while striking out six over seven-plus frames.
"Going up against C.J., you knew runs would be at a premium," Weaver admitted. "The difference in the game was the error. I wanted to eliminate early hits and the defense was incredible behind me."
Jordan Walden picked up his 23rd save with a scoreless ninth.
Mark Trumbo and Maicer Izturis registered the only hits for the Angels, who took two of three from their AL West rivals and moved within three games of the Rangers for first place.
Elvis Andrus collected three hits and Nelson Cruz hit safely twice for the Rangers, who have lost two in a row since winning 12 straight.
Kendrick was hit by a pitch with one out and advanced to second when Wilson uncorked a wild pitch while fanning Trumbo. Rangers center fielder Endy Chavez then misplayed a fly from Mike Trout, allowing Kendrick to come home.
Wilson retired the Halos in order in the third, fourth, sixth and seventh innings, while Texas put at least one runner on base against Weaver in every inning except the fifth and seventh.
The Angels starter only encountered trouble once, loading the bases in the sixth with two outs before fanning Mitch Moreland to keep it a one-run game.
Following Andrus' leadoff single in the eighth, Scott Downs got the call and set down the next three batters.
The lone dents in Walden's armor came on Mike Napoli's two-out hit and pinch- runner Craig Gentry's swipe of second. However, Chavez grounded out to short to end the game.
"Two good pitchers battled today," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "C.J. pitched well enough to win the ballgame, but we just couldn't put any runs up."
Weaver has won his last seven decisions and lowered his MLB-best ERA to 1.81. He also improved to 7-0 with a 2.32 ERA against Texas in Anaheim...Wilson had won his last six decisions. but still notched his fifth career complete game and second this season...It was the 81st 1-0 victory at home in Angels franchise history.
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 21 6:09 PM
- Mike Trout reached first on Endy Chavez' fielding error scored Howie Kendrick. Runner on first with two outs and Jeff Mathis due up.
Rangers 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 21 4:15 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 3:37 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22