Twins bounce back to beat RangersJul 27, 2011 - 5:50 AM
Delmon Young ripped a one-out single to start the Twins rally and advanced to third on a pinch-hit double by Jim Thome. Tsuyoshi Nishioka followed and nubbed a ball which couldn't be handled by shortstop Elvis Andrus, allowing the tying run to score before Mauer delivered his hit.
Danny Valencia finished with a pair of RBI for the Twins, who bounced back nicely after being thrashed by the Rangers on Monday by a 20-6 score.
"It's a new night every night, you come in here and you forget what happened the night before and you go about your business," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "Our guys came in very professional today, we took our BP [batting practice], we were up for the game and scored some runs early against a very good pitcher."
Glen Perkins (3-1) came in to get three straight outs in the eighth inning to earn the win, while Joe Nathan worked through a rocky ninth to earn his eighth save of the season.
Yorvit Torrealba paced the Rangers with a three-run homer and four RBI.
Neftali Feliz (0-2) gave up two runs in the ninth to absorb the loss and was also saddled with his fifth blown save of the year.
Texas had a chance to walk off with a victory in the ninth against Nathan. Josh Hamilton began the inning with a base hit to right and advanced to second on a fielder's choice groundout by Michael Young. Nelson Cruz was then hit by a pitch to put the winning run on first with one out. Nathan kept his composure, fanning Mitch Moreland and pinch-hitter David Murphy to end the game.
"You can never score enough," Moreland said. "You always have to hit and pitch and play defense. Sometimes one doesn't work as well as the others. That's kind of the way it went tonight, we'll come back tomorrow and be ready to go."
Earlier, Minnesota opened the scoring in the second inning. Delmon Young led off the inning with a single to left and Trevor Plouffe smacked a double. Nishioka followed and hit into a fielder's choice to cut down Young at home, temporarily keeping the Twins off the board. Drew Butera was able to pick up his teammate by knocking in Plouffe to give the Twins their first run of the game. Ben Revere reached on an infield single to load the bases with one out. Alexei Casilla followed with a fielder's choice to score Nishioka and Michael Cuddyer singled to left to extend the lead to 3-0 in favor of Minnesota.
Texas cut it to a one run game at 3-2 in the bottom of the second. Michael Young led off with a single and advanced to second on a throwing error by Revere. Cruz and Moreland then laced back-to-back RBI doubles to get back in the game.
The Rangers took a 7-3 lead in the fourth, plating five runs. Michael Young walked to lead off the inning and came around to score on a double by Cruz. Moreland followed with a single to put runners on first and third with no outs. Torrealba then crushed an offering from Carl Pavano deep into the left field bleachers for his fourth home run of the season. Chris Davis followed with a single and came around to score on a single by Andrus.
Minnesota got three runs back in the fifth. Casilla walked to lead off the inning and stole second. Cuddyer and Jason Kubel both walked to load the bases with no outs for Minnesota. Valencia drove in Casilla and Cuddyer with a single to left and came around to score himself on an infield single by Nishioka.
Texas picked up another run in the bottom of the fifth. Cruz worked a one-out walk, stole second and scored on a single by Torrealba to make it an 8-6 game.
The Twins made it a one-run game at 8-7 in the sixth. Revere walked to begin the frame and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Casilla. Revere then advanced to third on a groundout by Cuddyer and trotted home on a single to left by Kubel.
Minnesota is 10-9 against the American League West...They are 22-30 on the road this season...Minnesota is 40-18 when scoring first in 2011...Moreland ripped his 15th double of the season in the second inning...Texas is 34-20 at home this season...Minnesota leads the season series against the Rangers by a 4-2 count...This is the 52nd game this season in which Texas has collected 10 or more hits...Pavano was charged with eight runs on nine hits in five innings, while Texas starter C.J. Wilson was touched for six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits in four-plus frames.
- MINNESOTA: 9
Jul 26 11:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joe Mauer doubled to left scored Jason Repko. On the play, Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 9, Rangers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 11:18 PM
- Jason Kubel singled to left scored Ben Revere. Runner on first with two outs and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 7, Rangers 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 26 10:14 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba singled to right scored Nelson Cruz. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 26 10:01 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka infield single to third scored Danny Valencia. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 6, Rangers 7 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 26 9:51 PM
- Tommy Hunter enters the game for the Rangers with runners on second and third and none out.
Twins 5, Rangers 7 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 26 9:44 PM
- Elvis Andrus singled to center scored Chris Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 9:24 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba none-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Nelson Cruz and Mitch Moreland. Chris Davis due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 26 9:18 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to right. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 26 9:17 PM
- Mitch Moreland doubled to right scored Nelson Cruz. Runner on second with none out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 26 8:45 PM
- Nelson Cruz doubled to right scored Michael Young. Runner on second with none out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 26 8:45 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled to left scored Drew Butera. On the play, Alexi Casilla advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 3, Rangers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 26 8:38 PM
- Alexi Casilla grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka. Ben Revere out at second. Drew Butera advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 26 8:37 PM
- Ben Revere infield single to short. On the play, Drew Butera advances to second and Tsuyoshi Nishioka advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 26 8:36 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 26 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22