Twins power past RangersJul 28, 2011 - 5:21 AM
Jason Kubel ripped a three run double while Alexi Casilla added a pair of doubles. Danny Valencia also had two hits for the Twins, who have now won back-to-back games in this series after taking it on the chin by a 20-6 score on Monday.
Brian Duensing (8-8) gave up one run on seven hits in 6 2/3 innings, while fanning six and walking one. Matt Capps, Glen Perkins and Anthony Swarzak combined to finish off the AL West leaders.
"It makes it a lot easier when we put up runs like that," Duensing said. "We got some big hits when we needed it."
Elvis Andrus collected a pair of hits while Michael Young and Yorvit Torrealba picked up an RBI apiece for the Rangers. The reigning American League champions have lost three of their last four contests.
They also saw their lead whittled to two games over the Angels in the division. Earlier on Wednesday, Ervin Santana threw a no-hitter in Los Angeles' win at Cleveland.
Colby Lewis (10-8) gave up four runs on eight hits while striking out five and walking two.
"We just didn't get it done tonight," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Minnesota wasted no time grabbing the lead and staying in front, plating a run in its first at-bat. With two down in the inning, Mauer turned on a fastball from Lewis and drove it just over the wall in right field for his first home run of the season.
The Twins added another run in the fourth inning when Cuddyer led off the inning by clubbing his 15th home run of the season over the wall in left- center.
The Rangers made it a one-run game in the bottom of the fourth. Andrus led off the inning by doubling to right and moved to third on a Josh Hamilton groundout. Andrus then crossed the plate on a groundout by Young.
Minnesota extended its lead to 4-1 in the fifth. Casilla smacked a two-out double to right and scored on the ensuing single by Mauer. Cuddyer then followed with a single to plate Mauer.
Texas threatened in the bottom of the fifth, putting runners on second and third with two outs for Ian Kinsler. Duensing avoided trouble by striking out Kinsler to end the inning.
The Rangers threatened again in the seventh. This time they placed runners on first and second with two outs on walk to Torrealba and a single by Endy Chavez. Capps was summoned from the bullpen and recorded the final out of the inning by inducing a groundout from Kinsler.
Minnesota put three insurance runs on the board in the ninth on Kubel's bases- clearing double.
Torrealba singled in Mike Napoli with two outs in the ninth.
Lewis has given up 26 home runs this season, the most in the American League...The Rangers are 17-13 against American League Central division opponents, while the Twins are 11-9 against AL West teams...Minnesota is 41-18 this season when scoring first...Casilla was removed in the ninth inning after pulling up lame heading into second base.
- MINNESOTA: 7
Jul 27 11:14 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba singled in Mike Napoli with two out. Runner on first with Endy Chavez due up.
Twins 7, Rangers 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 27 11:11 PM
- Jason Kubel doubled inTrevor Plouffe, Joe Mauer and Michael Cuddyer with two out. Runner on second with Jim Thome due up.
Twins 7, Rangers 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 27 10:51 PM
- Michael Cuddyer singled in Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer is thrown out at second to end the inning.
Twins 4, Rangers 1 Mid 5Jul 27 9:22 PM
- Nelson Cruz grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Twins 2, Rangers 1 End 4Jul 27 9:10 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (15) to left center. Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 27 8:54 PM
- Joe Mauer two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 8:12 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22