Rangers beat Twins to earn split in seriesJul 29, 2011 - 5:21 AM
Josh Hamilton added three hits and Chris Davis knocked in a run for the Rangers, who shook off a two-game losing skid and earned a split.
Matt Harrison (9-7) allowed one run on eight hits in 7 1/3 innings for the win. Neftali Feliz turned in a perfect ninth for his 21st save.
"The pitching staff did a good job and we played good defense to grind out a win," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Jim Thome notched a pair of hits and drove in the only run for the Twins, who have dropped five of eight. Scott Baker (8-6) allowed eight hits and two runs over seven full frames in defeat.
"They're a tough team. I think they're the team to beat," Baker said of the reigning American League champions.
Clinging to a one-run lead, the Rangers provided some insurance in their final at-bat.
Phil Dumatrait spelled Baker and retired the first two batters, but Hamilton ripped a triple to right and Young was given a free pass. Nelson Cruz hit a grounder to third, but Minnesota's Danny Valencia threw high and wide to home, allowing Hamilton to score. Moreland followed with a base hit to plate Young for a 4-1 game.
The Rangers snapped the scoreless deadlock in the fourth as Elvis Andrus, Hamilton and Young hit consecutive singles to bring in a run.
It was 2-0 for the home team in the fifth when Yorvit Torrealba stroked a leadoff double and scored when Davis followed with a base hit.
Thome singled home Joe Mauer in the sixth.
Despite the setback, Minnesota won five of eight in the season series...Harrison improved to 3-0 in five July starts...Twins first baseman Michael Cuddyer went 2-for-4 on Thursday, upping his mark against Texas this season to 14-for-29. with four doubles, three homers, 11 RBI and seven runs scored.
- MINNESOTA: 1
Jul 28 10:54 PM
- Mitch Moreland single to center scored Michael Young with two out. On the play, Nelson Cruz advances to second. Runners on first and second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 28 10:45 PM
- Nelson Cruz reached first on Danny Valencia's throwing error scored Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mitch Moreland due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 28 10:44 PM
- Jim Thome single to right scored Joe Mauer with two out. Runner on first and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 28 9:44 PM
- Endy Chavez popped out to short. Runner on first with one out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 28 9:33 PM
- Michael Young single to center scored Elvis Andrus with none out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nelson Cruz due up.
Twins 0, Rangers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 28 9:05 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22