Rangers use five-run eighth to beat IndiansAug 8, 2011 - 5:17 AM
On Sunday it was Texas taking the rubber match of the three-game set, 5-3, by scoring five runs in the eighth, highlighted by Elvis Andrus' two-run single.
Rangers infielder Michael Young did not play a factor in the pivotal frame, but had two hits to reach 2,000 for his career.
"It definitely would not have been the same if we didn't bust it open in the eighth with five runs," Young said of his accomplishment. "The most important thing is to get the win."
Darren Oliver (4-5) earned the win behind Colby Lewis, who gave up three runs on five hits in 7 1/3 innings.
Michael Brantley tripled in a run and also homered for Cleveland, but Joe Smith (2-3) couldn't hold a 3-0 lead in the eighth after taking over for Josh Tomlin.
Tomlin held Texas to three hits and two walks through seven innings, then was pulled after giving up a walk and single to start the eighth.
Yorvit Torrealba greeted Smith with a single to load the bases, and pinch- hitter David Murphy added a base hit to put Texas on the board.
Ian Kinsler took a payoff pitch off the plate to force in Mitch Moreland, and Andrus followed with a single that brought in the tying and go-ahead runs.
Kinsler raced home on a Josh Hamilton groundout to cap the inning, and Mike Adams was perfect in the ninth to record his first American league save and keep the Rangers alone atop the American League West standings.
Adams was called on in the ninth after Neftali Feliz blew a save on Saturday. The Indians won that game, 7-5, after dropping the series opener in 11 innings.
"This three-game series was back-and-forth," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "The whole road trip was like that for us."
Lonnie Chisenhall drove in the game's first run with a sacrifice fly in the second inning, scoring Travis Hafner after he led off the frame with a single.
Brantley tripled in the fifth to plate Ezequiel Carrera, then took Lewis deep down the right-field line in the eighth for a 3-0 cushion.
Young is the third fastest right-handed batter to reach 2,000 hits since 1900, just behind Al Simmons and Rogers Hornsby...Texas had dropped four straight rubber games...Andrus has hit safely in all 20 games he has played against the Indians in his career...Adams had one save this year with the Padres and also saved a game with the Brewers in 2005.
- CLEVELAND: 3
Aug 7 10:47 PM
- Josh Hamilton grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Ian Kinsler. Elvis Andrus out at second. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Indians 3, Rangers 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 7 10:33 PM
- Rafael Perez enters the game for the Indians.
Indians 3, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 7 10:29 PM
- Ian Kinsler walked. Mitch Moreland scored on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Indians 3, Rangers 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 7 10:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter David Murphy singled to center scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Yorvit Torrealba advances to second and Mitch Moreland advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Indians 3, Rangers 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 7 10:23 PM
- Michael Brantley one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Rangers 0 Top 8, 1 OutAug 7 10:01 PM
- Jason Kipnis lined out to short to end the inning.
Indians 2, Rangers 0 Mid 5Aug 7 9:19 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall sacrifice fly out to center scored Travis Hafner. Runner on first with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Rangers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 8:29 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 8:09 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22