Angels hit five homers, take down RangersAug 28, 2011 - 5:20 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim used a home run barrage to make up ground in the American League West.
Vernon Wells, Mike Trout, Bobby Wilson, Peter Bourjos and Howie Kendrick each hit solo home runs to power the Angels to an 8-4 victory over the Texas Rangers.
Wells added an RBI triple, while Torii Hunter and Erick Aybar both singled home a run for the Angels, who closed to within two games of the division- leading Rangers.
"We have a lot of baseball left after this series. It's important to win games, and the fact that we're winning against a team we're trying to catch, that helps," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "But there's a long road ahead of us."
Pitching on three days' rest, Los Angeles starter Ervin Santana (10-9) allowed four runs on four hits over seven innings.
The Angels rebounded from an 11-7 loss in Friday's series opener, which halted their season-best winning streak at six games.
David Murphy hit a two-run homer for the Rangers, but grounded into an game- ending double play with the bases loaded. Texas starter C.J. Wilson (13-6) gave up six runs on 10 hits in five frames. The left-hander set a career-high by surrendering four home runs.
"The home run ball was working. The problem is, I was giving them up," said Wilson. "I was aiming down, and the ball was going up."
An unidentified adult male fell on a stairwell during the game and was being treated for his injuries at a nearby hospital, the Rangers said in a release issued after the game.
It came more than a month after firefighter Shannon Stone died after falling from the stands behind the left field wall on July 7.
Jordan Walden came on to protect the Angels' four-run lead in the ninth, but was relieved by Hisanori Takahashi after allowing three of the four batters he faced to reach base. Murphy, who belted a grand slam Friday, couldn't deliver again as Takahashi earned his second save of the season.
Wells began the home run parade with a one-out drive to center field in the second inning. The visitors took a 2-0 lead in the third when Bourjos scored on Hunter's broken-bat blooper to left. Bourjos was on third after reaching on a fielder's choice, stealing second base and advancing on an errant throw.
Trout and Wilson went deep back-to-back with two gone in the fourth to make it 4-0.
Texas halved its deficit in the bottom of the inning. Santana hit Ian Kinsler to begin the Rangers' half of the fourth, then walked Elvis Andrus on four pitches. Michael Young lofted a sacrifice fly after Josh Hamilton grounded out and Mike Napoli plated another run with a grounder up the middle. Napoli's single was Texas' first hit.
Bourjos led off the fifth with a blast to left field and Aybar tacked on a run-scoring single later in the frame to extend the Halos' lead to 6-2.
Murphy, though, followed a lead off single by Nelson Cruz in the bottom of the inning with a home run to right.
Texas reliever Koji Uehara gave up a lead off home run to Kendrick in the seventh. Hunter followed with a double and scored on a triple by Wells.
The five home runs were a season-high for the Angels and matched the most Texas allowed in a game this year...The Rangers had gone seven straight games without committing an error.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 27 11:14 PM
- Vernon Wells triple to right center scored Torii Hunter with one out. Runner on third and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 8, Rangers 4 Top 7, 1 OutAug 27 10:16 PM
- Howie Kendrick lead-off Home Run (13) to center. Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 7, Rangers 4 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 27 10:11 PM
- David Murphy none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to right scored Nelson Cruz. Endy Chavez due up.
Angels 6, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 27 9:47 PM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Howie Kendrick with two out. On the play, Vernon Wells advances to second. Runners on first and second with Mike Trout due up.
Angels 6, Rangers 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 27 9:37 PM
- Peter Bourjos lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 5, Rangers 2 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 27 9:25 PM
- Mike Napoli single to center scored Elvis Andrus with two out. Runner on first and Mitch Moreland due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 27 9:20 PM
- Michael Young sacrifice fly to right scored Ian Kinsler with two out. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runner on third and Mike Napoli due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 27 9:19 PM
- Bobby Wilson two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 4, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 27 9:08 PM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 3, Rangers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 27 9:07 PM
- Mark Trumbo struck out swinging to end the inning.
Angels 2, Rangers 0 Mid 3Aug 27 8:53 PM
- Vernon Wells one-out, solo Home Run (18) to center. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 27 8:24 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 27 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22