Crawford helps Red Sox slam RangersSep 4, 2011 - 2:38 AM
Erik Bedard picked up his first win since being acquired by the Red Sox. Bedard (5-9), who was obtained at the non-waiver trading deadline on July 31, allowed five hits and three runs over six innings. He also had six strikeouts to post his first victory since June 15 against the Angels.
"I threw a lot of pitches in the first couple of innings, tried to battle," Bedard said. "I threw strikes and kept the ball down, got through six (innings)."
Josh Reddick had four hits and scored three times for the Red Sox, who remained a half-game behind the first-place Yankees in the AL East. New York rallied to beat Toronto, 6-4, earlier Saturday.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia's two-run homer started the scoring in the fourth inning.
Colby Lewis (11-10), who was charged with seven hits and four runs over 3 1/3 innings, has just one victory in his last eight appearances. Yoshinori Tateyama also struggled in the fourth inning, giving up two hits and four runs. Merkin Valdez was touched for three hits and a run in the fateful fourth, when the Red Sox sent 13 men to the plate.
"Command, couldn't get the ball down," Rangers manager Ron Washington commented about Lewis' struggles. "You keep giving these guys opportunities with runners in scoring position, they're going to come through. They finally did."
Esteban German smacked a pinch-hit homer for the AL West-leading Rangers, who won, 10-0, in the opener of this weekend series.
Boston left the bases loaded in the first inning and Texas went ahead on David Murphy's RBI single in the second.
Michael Young's RBI base hit highlighted a two-run top of the third, but Jed Lowrie's liner into center field got Boston on the board in the bottom half.
Saltalamacchia tied the game with a homer to right field in the fourth. The Red Sox eventually loaded the bases with two outs, and pinch-hitter Mike Aviles gave the hosts the lead with a line drive single into right field. Crawford was up next and homered to right field.
Jacoby Ellsbury added an RBI single later in the fourth to give Boston a huge 9-3 lead.
Pedroia nearly hit a grand slam, but had to settle for a three-run double that went high off the wall in center in the sixth for a 12-3 advantage.
Josh Hamilton and Adrian Beltre each had run-scoring singles in a three-run Texas eighth before German homered in the ninth.
Boston has outscored the Rangers 42-14 in their four wins vs. the club this year but has been outscored 40-11 in five losses to Texas in 2011...The Red Sox are 30-11 during the daytime, the second-best day record in the majors this year behind the Yankees (36-9)...This marked the third straight game that the Red Sox sent a left-handed starter to the mound. According to Elias, the last time the Sox started lefties in three straight contests was in 1995 with Vaughn Eshelman, Zane Smith and Rheal Cormier, respectively.
- TEXAS: 7
Sep 3 8:00 PM
- Ian Kinsler lined out to center. None on with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 7, Red Sox 12 Top 9, 1 OutSep 3 7:55 PM
- Mike Napoli sacrifice fly scored Michael Young. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second on Jarrod Saltalamacchia's feilding error. Runner on second with one out and Matt Treanor due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 12 Top 8, 1 OutSep 3 7:35 PM
- Adrian Beltre single to left scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Michael Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 5, Red Sox 12 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 3 7:32 PM
- Michael Young singled to left. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 12 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 3 7:32 PM
- Dustin Pedroia double to center scored Carl Crawford, Josh Reddick and Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on second with two out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 12 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 3 7:00 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to second scored Josh Reddick. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 3 6:16 PM
- Carl Crawford two-out, Grand Slam (11) to right scored Adrian Gonzalez, David Ortiz and Mike Aviles. Josh Reddick due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 3 6:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Aviles single to right scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second and Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and Carl Crawford due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 3 6:05 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right scored Josh Reddick. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 3 5:54 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Carl Crawford due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 3 5:31 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Elvis Andrus. Michael Young out at second. Runner on first with two out and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 3 5:13 PM
- Michael Young single to right scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 3 5:11 PM
- David Murphy single to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runner on first with two out and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 3 4:53 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 3 4:14 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21