Rangers score 11 to take series at FenwaySep 4, 2011 - 11:19 PM
Josh Hamilton contributed a three-run triple during that decisive seven-run frame for the Rangers, who took two of three in the series and have won five of seven overall.
"It just means we took 2-out-of-3. I'm not putting any more credence to it than we won the series," said Rangers manager Ron Washington when asked if it was a harbinger of success to come. "We did a good job of pitching in the two games we won. All three games we swung the bats, put some runs on the board, just [Saturday] they put more than we did. But it's about pitching, and we came in for two games and pitched pretty good."
Mike Napoli homered among his two hits, scored twice and drove in two runs, while David Murphy and Mitch Moreland contributed two hits and an RBI each.
Matt Harrison (11-9) yielded two runs on seven hits in seven innings for the win.
Marco Scutaro hit a two-run single and David Ortiz also knocked in a run for the Red Sox, losers in four of their last six to fall 1 1/2 games behind the Yankees in the AL East.
John Lackey (12-11) was rocked in the setback for eight hits and six runs with three walks over five-plus frames.
Michael Young's leadoff single in the sixth was followed by Adrian Beltre's 2,000th career hit, and Murphy followed with a single to plate Young -- for a 3-0 Texas edge.
"It was just another hit. I didn't give a lot to it until reporters asked me this morning," Beltre, the former Red Sox third baseman said of his milestone. "I didn't remember I just needed one. It was nice to do it here, where I played last year but I didn't give it a lot of thought."
Murphy went to second on a wild pitch and Napoli walked, ending Lackey's outing. Felix Doubront entered with the bases loaded but Moreland singled to plate one run and pinch-hitter Esteban German followed with a walk to force in another.
Kinsler's sacrifice fly made it 6-0, Elvis Andrus walked to re-load the bases and Hamilton cleared the sacks with a triple to make it 9-0 for the visitors.
"They made him (Lackey) work real hard from the get-go, as they do. When he missed, he just missed," said Sox manager Terry Francona of his starter's troubles. "Then we get to the sixth, 16 pitches in, nobody out and run in, we go to Doubront to try and stop it right there and it unraveled. Almost identical what they did [Saturday] happened to us today."
Boston finally hit the scoreboard in the seventh on Scutaro's two-run single, then climbed within 9-4 in the eighth on an Ortiz RBI hit and Darnell McDonald sacrifice fly.
Napoli started the ninth with a homer off the high wall beyond the bleachers in dead center and Kinsler's two-out blast cleared the Green Monster completely to provide the final margin.
Texas got on the board in the second when Murphy tripled to center with one out and Napoli followed with a base hit.
In the third, the Rangers tacked on another run as Endy Chavez led off with a double and Kinsler tripled. Kinsler was doubled off first thanks to a liner from Andrus and Hamilton flied out to keep it a 2-0 game.
Texas won six of the 10 meetings in the season series...Harrison won for the first time since August 8, going 0-1 with three no-decisions since then...Lackey has lost three of his last four starts, giving up at least four runs in each of those outings...Red Sox outfielder Conor Jackson left the game in the fourth inning after injuring his hand suffered when unsuccessfully tracking down Kinsler's third-inning triple and crashing into the low padded wall in right-center.
- TEXAS: 11
Sep 4 5:07 PM
- Ian Kinsler two-out, solo Home Run (25) to left. Elvis Andrus is due up.
Rangers 11, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 4 4:56 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (23) to center. Mitch Moreland is due up.
Rangers 10, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 4 4:52 PM
- Darnell McDonald sacrifice fly to right scored Kevin Youkilis. Runner on first with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 4 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 4 4:43 PM
- David Ortiz singled to second scoring Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Darnell McDonald due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 4 4:42 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury grounded out to first. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 4 4:26 PM
- Matt Albers enters the game for the Red Sox with a runner on third and one out.
Rangers 9, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutSep 4 3:45 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly to right scored Mike Napoli. Runners on first and second and with one out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 6, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 1 OutSep 4 3:38 PM
- Pinch-hitter Esteban German walk scored David Murphy. Bases loaded with none out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 4 3:36 PM
- Mitch Moreland singled to right scoring Adrian Beltre. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second and David Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Endy Chavez due up.
Rangers 4, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 4 3:33 PM
- David Murphy advances to second on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with none out and Mike Napoli at the plate.
Rangers 3, Red Sox 0 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 4 3:28 PM
- Elvis Andrus lined out to the pitcher. On the play, Ian Kinsler was doubled off third from the pitcher to third to complete the double play. None on with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 4 2:21 PM
- Mike Napoli singled to left scoring David Murphy. Runner on first with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 4 2:00 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 1:39 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21