Rangers eliminate Angels from postseason contentionSep 27, 2011 - 5:58 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre hit a two-run home run to lead the Rangers to a 4-3 win over the Angels, as Texas eliminated Los Angeles from postseason contention.
The loss dropped the Angels three games back of the wild card lead, which is tied between Boston and Tampa Bay. The Angels will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.
The AL West champions meanwhile, stayed one game ahead of Detroit, which pounded Cleveland, 14-0, on Monday, for the second seed in the upcoming American League playoffs.
Elvis Andrus went 4-for-5 with a run scored while Michael Young drove in a run and scored once for the Rangers, who have won four straight and eight of nine.
C.J. Wilson made a brief two-inning start as he will rest for the next three days before starting the playoff opener on Friday. He gave up just two walks and two hits while Mark Hamburger (1-0) got the first win of his career after giving up just one run on two hits in 3 2/3 innings.
"The first two innings they worked C.J. pretty hard," said Texas manager Ron Washington. "Once we took him out and brought Hamburger in, we wanted three innings out of him and he almost gave up four. Great job from him."
Peter Bourjos, Mike Trout and Bobby Abreu each drove in a run for the Angels, who have lost four of five. Dan Haren (16-10) was touched for four runs -- three earned -- along with nine hits and a walk while striking out eight in eight innings.
"It's frustrating is what it is," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Early September we were playing our best baseball all year. But, we fell short."
Ian Kinsler led off the game with a single, moved to second on a passed ball and crossed the plate when Andrus laid down a bunt that saw Jeff Mathis throw the ball away.
Young led off the fourth with a walk and Beltre followed with his 31st home run of the season.
The Angels got back in the game with two runs in the sixth. With one out, Torii Hunter doubled and Darren Oliver took over on the mound after the second out. Alberto Callaspo then singled and Trout followed with a base hit to score Hunter. After Erick Aybar walked, Abreu walked in a pinch-hit role to force in a run.
Young singled in Andrus in the eighth.
The ninth saw Neftali Feliz come on to close the game and he gave up a leadoff single to Aybar, who advanced to second on a passed ball. The next two batters recorded outs, but Bourjos kept the Angels alive with a single to make it a one-run game. Howie Kendrick, though, struck out to kill the Angels postseason hopes and give Feliz his 31st save of the year.
Haren fell to 4-8 in 17 starts against the Rangers...Texas has won 10 of the 17 games against the Angels this season...LA left nine men on base.
- TEXAS: 4
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 27 1:10 AM
- Peter Bourjos single to center scored Erick Aybar with two out. Runner on first and Howie Kendrick due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 27 1:07 AM
- Adrian Beltre popped out to short. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 4, Angels 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 27 12:31 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Bobby Abreu walk scored Alberto Callaspo with two out. Bases loaded and Maicer Izturis due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 27 12:12 AM
- Mike Trout single to left scored Torii Hunter with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Erick Aybar due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 26 11:54 PM
- Mike Napoli struck out swinging. None on with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 3, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 26 11:11 PM
- Elvis Andrus reached first on a sacrifice bunt and advanced to second as Ian Kinsler scored on Jeff Mathis' throwing error with none out. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 26 10:14 PM
- TEXAS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 26 10:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22