Morse, Nationals double up PiratesApr 25, 2011 - 12:32 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Michael Morse had three hits, including a three-run homer, to lead the Nationals over the Pirates, 6-3, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Jason Marquis (2-0) earned the win in six innings, allowing three runs on eight hits and two walks while striking out two to snap a three-game slide for the Nationals.
Kevin Correia (3-2) lasted only 4 2/3 innings and allowed five runs on 11 hits and one walk while striking out two as Pittsburgh suffered its fourth loss in five games.
Neil Walker's single in the first scored Andrew McCutchen, who led off the inning with a double and moved to third on a groundout by Jose Tabata, to give the Pirates a one-run lead.
Adam Laroche's groundout scored Danny Espinosa after the Nationals loaded the bases in the third. Morse followed with a three-run shot to left that made the score 4-1 Washington.
"Mike really got into that ball and that's what we've been waiting for. When Mike's on top of his game, he hits for extra base hits," said Washington's manager, Jim Riggleman.
Garrett Jones started the fourth for the Pirates with a walk, and moved to third on Pedro Alvarez's double before he was brought home by Chris Snyder's sac fly. Ronny Cedeno followed with a double to left-center that plated Alvarez and made it a one-run game.
Laroche hit a leadoff home run to right in the fifth to extend Washington's lead.
Laynce Nix's two-out double scored Alex Cora from first base in the eighth to make the score 6-3 Washington.
Drew Storen entered the game in the ninth for the Nationals and got pinch- hitter Matt Diaz to strike out before allowing an infield single to McCutchen. On the play, third baseman Jerry Hairston Jr. made a bare-handed grab and threw the ball over Laroche at first base. Espinosa raced to grab the ball, and when he cocked back to throw, it slipped out and went into the stands allowing McCutchen to advance to third.
Tabata followed with a fly ball to right and Jayson Werth threw a laser to home that beat McCutchen for the double play and Storen's third save of the year.
"We want to be aggressive. We want to be smart. You never want to make the last out at home, but sometimes those things are gonna happen," said Pirates manager, Clint Hurdle. "It's not a perfect world. It's not a perfect game, but our mentality is to play aggressive."
Tyler Clippard pitched two scoreless innings in relief for Washington...Pittsburgh went 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- WASHINGTON: 6
Apr 24 4:39 PM
- Laynce Nix doubled to center scored Alex Cora. Runner on second with two outs and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 6, Pirates 3 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 24 4:08 PM
- Adam LaRoche lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Mike Morse due up.
Nationals 5, Pirates 3 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 24 2:57 PM
- Ronny Cedeno doubled to left center scored Pedro Alvarez. Runner on second with one out and Kevin Correia due up.
Nationals 4, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 24 2:52 PM
- Chris Snyder sacrifice fly out to left scored Garrett Jones. Runner on second with one out and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Nationals 4, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 24 2:50 PM
- Mike Morse two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Rick Ankiel and Jayson Werth. Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Nationals 4, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 24 2:27 PM
- Adam LaRoche grounded out to first scored Danny Espinosa. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Morse due up.
Nationals 1, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 24 2:24 PM
- Garrett Jones flied out to left. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Nationals 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 24 1:49 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 1:35 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21