Rowand leads Giants over PiratesApr 28, 2011 - 10:08 PM
Pablo Sandoval also knocked in a run for the Giants, who won for only the second time in their last seven games overall.
Ryan Vogelsong (1-0), starting his first game since 2004 while with the Pirates, tossed 5 2/3 effective innings. The right-hander allowed two runs on four hits, walked two and struck out eight. Brian Wilson recorded his seventh save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
"He did a great job, first start, happy for him, proud of him to get a win in his first start," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said about Vogelsong. "He did a great job."
Neil Walker finished 3-for-4 with an RBI and Ryan Doumit drove in a run for Pittsburgh, which has dropped six of its last nine.
Jeff Karstens (2-1) yielded five runs -- only two earned -- on seven hits in 6 2/3 innings of work. He fanned four and walked one.
"I felt like I did alright," Karstens said. "I was off. They gave me two runs to work with and I didn't do my job."
Walker's run-scoring double in the first gave the Pirates an early lead, but San Francisco put up four in the third.
With the bases loaded and nobody out, Rowand chased in a pair with a double down the third base line and Sandoval brought home another with a fielder's choice with Rowand taking third. Sandoval then stole second and Rowand swiped home to make it 4-1.
Vogelsong yielded back-to-back, one-out singles in the sixth before Doumit brought in a run with a groundout and was replaced after throwing 99 pitches -- 60 for strikes. Jeremy Affeldt came in from the bullpen and hit the first batter he faced, Pedro Alvarez. Affeldt then struck out Brandon Wood to prevent further damage.
San Francisco got the run back in the seventh on Rowand's base hit to left to make it 5-2.
Javier Lopez worked a scoreless eighth and Wilson took over in the ninth and walked the leadoff batter before striking out the next three to preserve the win.
Prior to the game, the Pirates added outfielder Xavier Paul to the 25-man roster and designated outfielder John Bowker for assignment...Karstens fell to 0-2 in three career games -- two starts -- against the Giants.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Apr 28 3:25 PM
- Daniel McCutchen enters the game for the Pirates with a runner on first and two out, batting 8th.
Giants 5, Pirates 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 28 2:41 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded out to first scored Neil Walker. Runner on second with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Giants 4, Pirates 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 28 2:22 PM
- Aaron Rowand steals home, Pablo Sandoval steals second. On the play, Sandoval advances to third on Ryan Doumit's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Pat Burrell at the plate.
Giants 4, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 28 1:23 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Ryan Vogelsong. Runners on first and third with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 3, Pirates 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 28 1:19 PM
- Aaron Rowand doubled to left scored Mike Fontenot and Eli Whiteside. Runners on second and third with none out and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Giants 2, Pirates 1 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 28 1:14 PM
- Neil Walker doubled to left center scored Lyle Overbay. Runner on second with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 28 12:47 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 28 12:36 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21