Lee helps Astros edge Pirates in returnMay 7, 2011 - 4:18 AM
Hunter Pence knocked in the other two runs for Houston, which had lost two games in a row. Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez (2-3) gave up two runs on five hits over seven innings.
Paul Maholm limited Houston to one run on five hits and walked three in seven full frames, but did not factor in the decision after the Pittsburgh bullpen faltered.
The Pirates had seized the lead when Neil Walker belted a tiebreaking home run to leadoff the bottom of the seventh.
Chris Resop (1-1) replaced Maholm in the eighth and failed to retire both batters he faced. Michael Bourn led off with a walk, stole second and scored on a double by Pence. Lee, who missed the previous three games with a contusion of his left rib cage sustained in a collision with shortstop Angel Sanchez on Sunday, then greeted Jose Veras with a single to left field.
The Pirates put a runner on third in the bottom of the frame, but Fernando Abad struck out pinch-hitter Garrett Jones to preserve the one-run lead.
Mark Melancon tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his first career save.
"We put a good inning together and our bullpen held it down," Bourn said.
Houston scratched out a run in the first inning on a Pence sacrifice fly. Pittsburgh had scored first in each of its last nine games.
The Pirates did get on the board in the fifth after Lyle Overbay and Brandon Wood stroked consecutive two-out doubles.
"We've just got to keep pushing forward and keep battling until we can bust out and have some more consistency on offense at home," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle.
Jason Bourgeois collected three of Houston's nine hits...The Astros were 4- for-14 with runners in scoring position...Pittsburgh returned home after a 4-2 road trip.
- HOUSTON: 3
May 6 10:02 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left scored Hunter Pence, advances to second on Brandon Wood's catching error. Runner on second with none out and Bill Hall due up.
Astros 3, Pirates 2 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 6 9:21 PM
- Jose Veras enters the game for the Pirates with one on and none out, batting 3rd.
Astros 2, Pirates 2 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 6 9:16 PM
- Neil Walker lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Chris Snyder due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 6 8:56 PM
- Brandon Wood doubled to left scored Lyle Overbay.. Runner on second with two outs and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 6 8:22 PM
- Hunter Pence sacrifice fly out to right scored Jason Bourgeois. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 6 7:13 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21