McCutchen, Wood lead Pirates over AstrosMay 8, 2011 - 5:27 AM
Lyle Overbay belted a solo home run for the Pirates, who have won four of their last six games. Pittsburgh starter Charlie Morton (4-1) held the Astros to one run and seven hits in 7 2/3 innings.
"When [Morton's] on like that, everyone's involved. We played well tonight," Pirates catcher Chris Snyder said.
Bud Norris (2-2) gave up three runs on seven hits and struck out nine over seven full frames for Houston, which has dropped three of four.
Trailing by three, the Astros got on the board in the eighth inning.
Michael Bourn reached on a fielder's choice and scored after consecutive two- out singles by Hunter Pence and Carlos Lee. Jose Veras replaced Morton and Brett Wallace grounded out to second to end the frame.
Pittsburgh tacked on three more runs in the home half, as Wood plated a pair with a bases-loaded double and Snyder scored on a wild pitch.
Overbay went deep to begin the second. The Pirates put runners on first and second later in the inning and McCutchen cleared the bases with a double to center field for a 3-0 Pittsburgh lead.
"I left the ball over the plate to McCutchen," Norris said. "I had a rough second, and they put good swings on bad pitches."
Pittsburgh improved to 5-9 at home this season, compared to an 11-8 record on the road...Morton was 0-3 with a 9.00 ERA in four previous career starts against Houston...The Pirates were 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- HOUSTON: 1
May 7 9:37 PM
- Daniel McCutchen starts the inning for the Pirates, batting 3rd.
Astros 1, Pirates 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 7 9:32 PM
- Brandon Wood double to left scored Jose Tabata and Neil Walker with two outs. On the play, Chris Snyder advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 7 9:26 PM
- Carlos Lee single to center scored Michael Bourn with two outs. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Pirates 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 7 9:01 PM
- Jose Tabata infield single to second. On the play, Andrew McCutchen out at home, second to first to catcher to end the inning.
Astros 0, Pirates 3 End 2May 7 7:46 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Chris Snyder due up.
Astros 0, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 7 7:33 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:24 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21