Kuroda, Dodgers shut out PiratesMay 12, 2011 - 4:18 AM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - Hiroki Kuroda threw seven scoreless innings and the bullpen did the rest as the Los Angeles Dodgers blanked the Pittsburgh Pirates, 2-0, in the third of a four-game set from PNC Park.
The 36-year-old Kuroda (4-3), who took a no-hitter into the fifth, allowed just three hits, while striking out eight with three walks.
Pittsburgh brought the tying run to the plate in the home half of the ninth, but Vicente Padilla was able to strike out Brandon Wood to earn his third save of the season.
In being shut out for the fourth time this season, the Pirates wasted a strong effort from Paul Maholm (1-5), who allowed just two runs over six innings.
"Paul didn't have his best stuff, but he gave us another very, very good outing. He took care of his end," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of his starter.
Kuroda was masterful through 4 1/3, until Wood broke up the no-no with a bloop shot into shallow left. Kuroda then retired Ronny Cedeno and Maholm in order to squelch the potential threat.
"When he has a good fastball, a good slider and a good split, it's going to be tough to get hits off him," Dodgers catcher Rob Barajas said of Kuroda.
In the top of the sixth, Ivan DeJesus, Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp reached in succession to load the bases with no outs. DeJesus crossed the plate as Juan Uribe grounded into a double play and Ethier scored courtesy of Jerry Sands' seventh double of the season. Sands finished 1-for-3, as not a single player from either team recorded more than one hit.
Pittsburgh threatened in the bottom of the sixth, placing runners on second and third with two outs, but Chris Snyder went down swinging on a 2-2 slider. In all, the Pirates left seven runners on base.
Pittsburgh has now dropped two straight after winning a season-high three in a row...Ethier has reached base safely in 35 straight games, the longest active streak in the majors...Kuroda is now 4-1 in his career against Pittsburgh.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
May 11 10:10 PM
- Hiroki Kuroda grounded out to first to end the inning.
Dodgers 2, Pirates 0 Mid 6May 11 8:47 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21