Phelps HR in 11th sends Tribe to sweep of BucsJun 20, 2011 - 1:05 AM
Phelps' first career homer made a winner of Tony Sipp (3-0), who recorded the final two outs in the top of the frame. Tribe starter Justin Masterson left after five innings and didn't factor into the decision to extend his winless streak to 10 starts.
"I think Cord deserved to win the ballgame because he hit the ball hard the whole day," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He was the right guy at the plate in that situation and he hit it good."
Tim Wood (0-1) suffered the loss by serving up Phelps' winning blast.
It capped a game that featured a rain delay of nearly two hours and a duration of nearly 3 1/2 hours thanks to the two extra innings.
The two teams came out of the lengthy rain delay knotted at two apiece and it would stay that way for a while after a couple defensive gems.
Asdrubal Cabrera made a spectacular barehanded grab and throw on Brandon Woods' chopper just at the outside edge of the infield for the second out of the 10th. Cabrera was then robbed of a possible extra-base hit in the bottom half when he blasted a shot to deep left, but Jose Tabata made a leaping catch against the wall to end the 10th.
Sipp escaped the 11th by inducing Neil Walker to fly out and Garrett Jones to ground out. The Indians then put two runners on during the bottom half to set the table for Phelps' heroics.
Shin-Soo Choo had a one out single and stole second before Carlos Santana was intentionally walked. Wood then elevated a four-seam fastball to Phelps, who belted it into the seats in right-center to end the game and give the Indians their seventh win in nine games.
Meanwhile, the Pirates came into the series two games over .500 and left Cleveland with a losing record. But it wasn't because of starting pitcher Jeff Karstens. Before the rain delay, he allowed two runs -- one earned -- on five hits over seven innings.
The Pirates gave him a two-run lead in the first. Xavier Paul had a one-out triple and scored on Walker's liner to center field. Walker rounded to third on Jones' base hit and touched home when Matt Diaz grounded into a force out.
"We pitched very, very well again," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "We've still got to find a way to get that big two-out hit or that good out to move people up and score people at third with less than two outs."
However, The Indians squared it in the second. Santana led off with a home run to snap Karstens' career-high 15 2/3 shutout innings streak.
Phelps followed that up with a double into right. After Jack Hannahan drew a walk, Lou Marson grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, but Phelps still scored to make it a 2-2 game.
The Pirates have lost 13 striaght road games against the American League...The Indians improved to 6-0 in interleague play this season. It was Cleveland's first sweep of Pittsburgh since July 2000...Cleveland fired hitting coach Jon Nunnally, replacing him with Bruce Fields on Sunday.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Jun 19 6:29 PM
- Cord Phelps one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Shin-Soo Choo and Carlos Santana to win the game.
Pirates 2, Indians 5 Bot 11, 1 OutJun 19 6:29 PM
- Lou Marson double-play groundout scored Cord Phelps. Jack Hannahan out at second. None on and Grady Sizemore due up.
Pirates 2, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 19 1:47 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Cord Phelps due up.
Pirates 2, Indians 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 19 1:41 PM
- Matt Diaz fielder's choice scored Neil Walker with two out. Garrett Jones out at second. Diaz advanced to second on Cord Phelps throwing error. Runner on second and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 19 1:15 PM
- Neil Walker singled to center scoring Xavier Paul with one out. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 19 1:09 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 19 1:05 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21