Miller picks up first win, Red Sox edge BucsJun 26, 2011 - 11:25 PM
Miller (1-0), in his second start in place of the injured Clay Buchholz, lasted six innings and allowed two runs -- one earned -- on five hits for Boston, which snapped a four-game slide.
Pittsburgh was looking for a season-high fifth straight win, but its bullpen faltered in the later innings.
With the score tied, 2-2, heading into the seventh, Tim Wood (0-2) was called out of the bullpen and threw four straight balls to the only batter he faced -- Marco Scutaro. Daniel Moskos came in and walked pinch-hitter David Ortiz, then bobbled Jacoby Ellsbury's bunt to load the bases.
Chris Resop came in to limit the damage and did not give up a hit, but Dustin Pedroia's groundout and Kevin Youkilis' sacrifice fly each produced a run to give the visitors a 4-2 advantage.
Alfredo Aceves and Daniel Bard both had a perfect inning of relief behind Miller, and Jonathan Papelbon shook off a leadoff walk in the ninth to lock down his 14th save of the year.
"We persevered. We grinded one out," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said.
The Red Sox left five runners on base over the first three innings before breaking a scoreless tie in the fourth when Andrew McCutchen's throw, trying to nab a tagging-up Jarrod Saltalamacchia, sailed high and off Chase d'Arnaud's glove and into the seats along the third-base side.
Saltalamacchia was awarded home on the center fielder's error, but Scutaro booted one in the bottom half that put runners on first and third with no outs. Two batters later, Ronny Cedeno's flyout to center was enough to bring in Neil Walker, who was plunked to begin the inning.
Pittsburgh put its first three hitters on in its next at-bat, though only one run came in on McCutchen's single to left.
Pirates starter James McDonald threw away a potential double-play ball in the sixth, and the error moved Youkilis to third base, allowing him to eventually score on Josh Reddick's sacrifice fly.
The crowd of 39,511 set a PNC Park record and the three-game series total of 118,324 fans easily broke the stadium's old three-date series mark of 113,144 (August 10-12, 2001 vs. San Diego)...Pedroia went 1- for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 11 games...McDonald gave up two unearned runs over six innings. He allowed five hits and two walks...Pirates outfielder Jose Tabata injured his left quad beating out a bunt in the first inning. He was carted off the field and will have additional testing on Monday...Red Sox right fielder J.D. Drew left the game early because of an eye injury.
- BOSTON: 4
Jun 26 4:56 PM
- Darnell McDonald popped out to short to end the inning.
Red Sox 4, Pirates 2 Mid 7Jun 26 4:08 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez intentionally walked. Bases loaded with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 3, Pirates 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 26 4:02 PM
- Josh Reddick sacrifice fly to left scored Kevin Youkilis with two out. Runner on first and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 2, Pirates 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 26 3:31 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored James McDonald with one out. On the play, Chase d`Arnaud advanced to second and Garrett Jones was tug out at third. Runners on first and second and Neil Walker due up.
Red Sox 1, Pirates 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 26 3:20 PM
- Ronny Cedeno sacrifice fly to center scored Neil Walker with two out. Runner on first and Eric Fryer due up.
Red Sox 1, Pirates 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 26 2:57 PM
- Josh Reddick flied out to center. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia scored on Andrew McCutchen's throwing error with one out. None on and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 1, Pirates 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 26 2:42 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 1:35 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21