Blue Jays nip Pirates; Morrow fans 10Jun 30, 2011 - 4:13 AM
Morrow (4-4) gave up just one run on four hits with three walks and 10 strikeouts for the Blue Jays, who had dropped their past two games. Eric Thames hit a solo homer in the sixth to account for Toronto's other run.
"We got some good pitching from everyone tonight," said Toronto manager John Farrell. "That homer Thames hit was a pretty swing and it was nice to see him get it."
Ronny Cedeno went 2-for-3 with an RBI for the Pirates, who came into the game having won five of their past six. Paul Maholm (4-9) went seven innings and gave up two runs on nine hits to take the loss.
The Pirates went ahead in the fifth on an RBI single from Cedeno. Neil Walker led off with a walk and Lyle Overbay followed with a single. Walker was thrown out at home when he attempted to score on a Matt Diaz grounder, but Cedeno brought home Overbay with a base hit.
The Blue Jays had stranded four men through the first five innings, but Thames led off the sixth with his first career home run.
Toronto left two more on base in that inning, but went ahead in the seventh on back-to-back doubles from Rajai Davis and Escobar for a 2-1 lead.
The eighth saw Pittsburgh get a one-out walk from Chase d'Arnaud, but Garrett Jones grounded into a fielder's choice and was then picked off first by catcher Jose Molina to end the inning.
Frank Francisco worked around a two-out walk to Overbay in the ninth to pick up his ninth save of the season.
Cedeno is batting 13-for-26 since June 19...Both teams are now 7-7 in interleague play this season...Morrow was 0-4 over his six starts at home this season coming into the game.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
Jun 29 9:50 PM
- Eric Thames grounded out to first. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Pirates 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 29 9:13 PM
- Eric Thames lead-off Home Run (1) to center.
Pirates 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 29 8:47 PM
- Ronny Cedeno single scored Lyle Overbay. On the play, Matt Diaz out at third. Ronny Cedeno advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Eric Fryer due up.
Pirates 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 29 8:19 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21