Pirates pound NationalsJul 3, 2011 - 9:23 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Lyle Overbay went 3-for-4 with three RBI and Kevin Correia cruised to his 11th win of the season, as the Pittsburgh Pirates earned an easy 10-2 victory over the Washington Nationals in the finale of a four-game series.
Garrett Jones, Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker each added two RBI for the Pirates, who have split their last eight games.
Correia (11-6) allowed just two runs on six hits and a walk over six innings while fanning six.
In contrast, Jason Marquis (7-3) lasted just 1 1/3 innings, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits.
"He's pitched good all year long," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson. "It just didn't look like he had much on it today and sometimes that happens."
Wilson Ramos provided the only offense for the Nationals -- losers of six of their last nine -- with a two-run homer.
The Pirates wasted little time getting on the board, placing runners on the corners with one down in the first, before three consecutive RBI singles by McCutchen, Walker and Overbay gave Correia a 3-0 cushion.
A recipe for success, Pittsburgh again placed runners on the corners with one down to begin its next at bat. This time, consecutive doubles from Jones and McCutchen pushed three more across and forced Marquis into an early exit.
Collin Balester did not fair much better, as Walker drove home McCutchen with a single and came around to score himself on an Overbay double, stretching the margin to 8-0.
"Once you get a big lead like that, it makes it easy on your pitcher," Johnson said of Correia's performance.
The Nationals flickered a pulse in the home half, as Rick Ankiel reached with a leadoff single and Ramos deposited a 1-0 fastball over the fence in left.
They would not score again, going 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranding 10 runners in all.
Pittsburgh added two for good measure in the sixth, as Jones crossed the plate on Ian Desmond's throwing error and McCutchen crossed the plate following Michael McKenry's bases loaded walk.
Jayson Werth left the game in the sixth inning after being hit on the left wrist by a pitch...Davey Johnson is 2-5 since taking over as Nationals' manager...The last time a Pittsburgh starter earned 11 wins before the All- Star break was in 1980 (Jim Bibby)...Marquis had not suffered a loss since May 25...On Sunday, Joel Hanrahan was named to the NL All-Star team...Washington's Tyler Clippard also made the NL All-Star roster.
- PITTSBURGH: 10
Jul 3 4:47 PM
- Brian Bixler is pinch-running for Jayson Werth.
Pirates 10, Nationals 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 3 3:48 PM
- Lyle Overbay reached first on Ian Desmond's fielding error scoring Garrett Jones with one out. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second and Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Bases loaded and Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 9, Nationals 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 3 3:39 PM
- Wilson Ramos none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Rick Ankiel. Ian Desmond due up.
Pirates 8, Nationals 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJul 3 2:28 PM
- Lyle Overbay doubled to right scoring Neil Walker with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 8, Nationals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 2:21 PM
- Neil Walker singled to right scoring Andrew McCutchen with one out. Neil Walker advances to second on the throw home. Runner on second and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 7, Nationals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 2:20 PM
- Collin Balester enters the game for the Nationals with a runner on second and one out, batting 9th.
Pirates 6, Nationals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 2:17 PM
- Garrett Jones doubled to center scoring Alex Presley and Chase d`Arnaud with one out. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 5, Nationals 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 3 2:11 PM
- Lyle Overbay singled to center scoring Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 3, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 3 1:48 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scoring Chase d`Arnaud with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third and Lyle Overbay due up.
Pirates 2, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 3 1:47 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to left scoring Alex Presley with one out. On the play, Chase d`Arnaud advances to second. Runners on first and second and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 3 1:43 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 3 1:38 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21