Quintero helps Astros rally past PiratesJul 17, 2011 - 2:50 AM
The Pirates, who started the day atop the NL Central, came back from a 3-0 deficit before blowing the lead in the eighth.
Jose Veras (2-3) absorbed the loss after yielding three runs -- two earned -- while recording just one out.
Jeff Keppinger belted a two-run homer, while Michael Bourn added three hits and drove in a run for the Astros.
Neil Walker went 4-for-5 with a home run and two RBI, while Lyle Overbay and Brandon Wood also went deep for the Pirates, who had won three of four coming in.
Pittsburgh was in first place this late in the season for the first time since 1997, but fell a game behind the Cardinals in the division as a result of St. Louis beating the Reds on Saturday.
The Pirates tied things on back-to-back home runs by Overbay and Wood in the sixth.
Bud Norris, who also surrender Walker's solo blast in the fifth, was pulled later in the inning with two on and two out, and Walker greeted Wilton Lopez with an RBI single for a 4-3 lead.
The Astros rallied to re-rake the lead in the eighth.
With Hunter Pence on third and one out, Brett Wallace hit a grounder to short. Chase d'Arnaud opted to go home with the ball, and Pence slid in safely on a close play at the plate.
Wood's error on Clint Barmes' sharply hit ball to third put runners on the corners, and Quintero laced a single to left to plate the eventual game- winning run.
Bourn added an RBI single off Chris Leroux, and Mark Melancon hurled a perfect ninth to lock down his seventh save of the season.
Carlos Lee scored on a passed ball in the second, and Keppinger took Paul Maholm over the left-field wall in the third for a 3-0 edge.
Maholm, who entered with a 1.04 ERA in six starts against division rivals this year, surrendered three runs on nine hits over five innings...Norris was touched for four runs on nine hits in his outing...Pittsburgh still leads the season series, 8-3...The Pirates stranded 10 runners.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Jul 16 10:11 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to left scored Clint Barmes. On the play, Humberto Quintero advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Angel Sanchez due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 16 10:01 PM
- Matt Downs fouled out to catcher. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Bourn due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 16 10:01 PM
- Sergio Escalona fielder's choice scored Hunter Pence. Runner on first with one out and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 4 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 16 9:50 PM
- Andrew McCutchen flied out to right to end the inning.
Pirates 4, Astros 3 Mid 6Jul 16 9:10 PM
- Brandon Wood lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 16 8:56 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 2, Astros 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 16 8:54 PM
- Neil Walker one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 1, Astros 3 Top 5, 1 OutJul 16 8:33 PM
- Jeff Keppinger one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Angel Sanchez. Hunter Pence due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 16 8:04 PM
- Humberto Quintero flied out to right. On the play, Jason Michaels advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Bud Norris due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 16 7:44 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 16 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21