Pirates defeat Astros in extrasJul 18, 2011 - 12:07 AM
With runners on the corners and one out, Quintero let a Mark Melancon (5-3) offering slip to the backstop, allowing Josh Harrison to score the visitors' lead run. Alex Presley followed with an RBI single and a throwing error on Aneury Rodriguez later in the frame brought in Presley with the Bucs' final tally.
Quintero atoned for his gaffe with a two-out homer in the bottom half of the frame to cut Houston's deficit to 7-5, but Jason Michaels flied out to end the contest, allowing Chris Resop to snag his first career save.
"I know when it goes extra innings, that anybody could be down there," Resop said. "I was told if we went ahead I was gonna get the call. If we stayed tied, Leroux was going to stay out there."
Chris Leroux (1-0) tossed a scoreless 10th inning for his first career win.
Presley finished with three hits and three RBI for the Pirates, who have won seven of their last 10 games to keep pace in the hunt for first place in the NL Central. The Bucs ended Sunday tied with St. Louis, one-half game behind first-place Milwaukee.
Starter Kevin Correia added a two-run double while allowing five hits and three runs over six innings.
Jeff Keppinger totaled three hits, two RBI and scored three times for the Astros, who have dropped 11 of 13 games in July.
Wandy Rodriguez tied a career-best with 11 strikeouts over his 5 1/3 innings, but yielded eight hits and four runs.
Keppinger doubled with two out in the home first and scored when Hunter Pence followed with a base hit.
The Pirates forged ahead in the second. Lyle Overbay doubled and Eric Fryer was given a free pass before Correia knocked in both with a double.
Houston struck back in the third thanks to a two-run blast from Keppinger after a Clint Barmes single, but lost manager Brad Mills to ejection after arguing balls and strikes.
Pittsburgh countered in the fourth on a Presley RBI single which scored Brandon Wood.
Wood doubled to lead off the sixth and scored on a Presley double to give the Bucs a 4-3 edge, but the Astros countered in the eighth on Chris Johnson's double which drove in Keppinger.
"Keppy has continued to swing the bat well, Hunter had some knocks, and CJ with a big one to tie the game and get us to extra innings ad give us a chance to win," said Mills about his club's resilience.
Pittsburgh upped its record to 22-13 vs Central and won 13 of last 17 games against division foes...Pirates second baseman Neil Walker extended hit streak to 11 games, most by a Bucs player this year...Correia posted his third career multi-RBI game...For Mills, it was his fifth ejection this year and first since June 28...Rodriguez last fanned 11 men on July 8, 2009 against the Pirates.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
Jul 17 6:03 PM
- Andrew McCutchen reached first on Aneury Rodriguez' throwing error scored Alex Presley. On the play, Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 7, Astros 4 Top 11, 2 OutsJul 17 5:51 PM
- Alex Presley singled to right scored Xavier Paul. On the play, Presley advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Chase d`Arnaud due up.
Pirates 6, Astros 4 Top 11, 1 OutJul 17 5:44 PM
- Humberto Quintero passed ball scored Josh Harrison. Xavier Paul advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Alex Presley at the plate.
Pirates 5, Astros 4 Top 11, 1 OutJul 17 5:42 PM
- Chris Johnson double to center scored Jeff Keppinger with two out. Runner on second and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 17 5:01 PM
- Alex Presley double to right scored Brandon Wood with two out. Runner on second and Chase d`Arnaud due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 17 3:59 PM
- With Chase d'Arnaud batting, Alex Presley stole second. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chase d'Arnaud at the plate.
Pirates 3, Astros 3 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 17 3:19 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Pirates 2, Astros 3 End 3Jul 17 3:06 PM
- Kevin Correia double to left scored Lyle Overbay and Eric Fryer with two out. Runner on second and Alex Presley due up.
Pirates 2, Astros 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 17 2:33 PM
- Hunter Pence single to left scored Jeff Keppinger with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Lee due up.
Pirates 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 17 2:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 2:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21