Wandy fans 13, Astros rally past PiratesAug 30, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Rodriguez (10-9) scattered four hits, allowed three runs and walked four batters to get into the double-digit win column for a third consecutive season.
"My breaking pitch, that's the key," Rodriguez said. "I had a good one, like today I used it a lot. I was locating."
Jose Altuve tallied three hits and an RBI, as Houston won its second straight following a 1-6 stretch.
Ross Ohlendorf pitched the first five frames for the Pirates in the opener of this three-game series, but Jason Grilli (1-1) couldn't hold the advantage. Jose Veras was also touched for a pair of runs in the decisive seventh inning.
"I did see more comfort and better mound presence," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Ohlendorf.
Andrew McCutchen hit a two-run homer for the Pirates, who have dropped seven of their last 10 contests.
Grilli hit Jordan Schafer with a pitch in the seventh and Altuve doubled to left. J.D. Martinez, the first batter Veras faced, hit an RBI fielder's choice before Lee homered to left field for a 6-3 lead.
Altuve's bunt hit plated Jason Bourgeois in the eighth.
Juan Abreu made his major league debut by fanning the first two batters of the ninth, but he walked Garrett Jones and Ronny Cedeno followed with an RBI triple to center field. Mark Melancon then struck out Jose Tabata to pick up his 15th save.
McCutchen's homer in the fourth and back-to-back doubles from Neil Walker and Ryan Doumit later in the frame staked the Buccos to a three-run cushion.
Brian Bogusevic's RBI double in the fourth and Schafer's run-scoring single in the next inning had the Astros within 3-2.
The Astros are 4-9 vs. Pittsburgh this season after finishing 11-4 against them in 2010, with a 9-0 mark at home...Lee has a 10-game hitting streak...This is Rodriguez's 10th career double-digit strikeout performance...Walker is 13-for-27 at Minute Maid Park this season...McCutchen has an RBI in four straight games.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Aug 29 11:09 PM
- Ronny Cedeno triple to center scored Garrett Jones with two outs. Runner on third and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 4, Astros 7 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 29 11:03 PM
- Jose Altuve bunt singled to first scored Jason Bourgeois with one out. On the play, Jordan Schafer advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Carpenter due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 29 10:48 PM
- Carlos Lee one-out, three-run Home Run (13) to left scored Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 29 10:26 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to third scored Jordan Schafer with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Lee due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 29 10:25 PM
- Jordan Schafer single to center scored Clint Barmes with two outs. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Altuve due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 29 9:34 PM
- Brian Bogusevic double to left scored J.D. Martinez with two outs. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jimmy Paredes due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 29 9:10 PM
- Matt Diaz walked. Runners on first and second with none out and Brandon Wood due up.
Pirates 3, Astros 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 29 8:53 PM
- Andrew McCutchen none-out, two-run Home Run (19) to right scored Josh Harrison. Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 2, Astros 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 29 8:48 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21