Ohlendorf goes deep as Pirates down DodgersSep 16, 2011 - 6:01 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Ross Ohlendorf pitched seven strong innings and even added a three-run homer, as the Pirates took down the Dodgers, 6-2, in the opener of a four-game series.
Ohlendorf (1-2) scattered four hits and two runs and took Dana Eveland deep in the seventh inning for his first career round-tripper.
"Ross kept us on our heels all night," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said
Brandon Wood, Ryan Ludwick and Ryan Doumit each chipped in two hits and an RBI for Pittsburgh, which had lost five of six coming in.
Eveland (2-1) was charged with four runs on eight hits over five frames in the loss, Los Angeles' fourth in five games.
Dee Gordon scored on Justin Sellers' ground-rule double in the first inning, but the Pirates scored four in the second. Wood posted a two-out, run-scoring single in front of Ohlendorf, whose opposite-field blast carried over the wall in right.
"I was really excited," Ohlendorf said of the homer. "Dana knew I wasn't a very good hitter. It was a first-pitch fastball and I got lucky."
Russ Mitchell's leadoff homer in the fifth cut into the deficit, but Doumit and Ludwick each knocked in a run in the eighth to extend the margin.
Evan Meek loaded the bases in the ninth and was pulled after walking Tim Federowicz with two outs. Joel Hanrahan needed four pitches to fly out pinch- hitter Aaron Miles and pick up his 38th save.
This was Ohlendorf's first road win since beating the Rockies on August 11, 2009...The Pirates had twice as many hits and the Dodgers, 12-6.
- PITTSBURGH: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 16 1:07 AM
- Xavier Paul is pinch-running for Ryan Ludwick.
Pirates 6, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 16 12:28 AM
- Ryan Doumit double to right scored Derrek Lee with none out. Runner on second and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 5, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 16 12:25 AM
- Russ Mitchell lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Tim Federowicz due up.
Pirates 4, Dodgers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 15 11:38 PM
- Ross Ohlendorf two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Ryan Ludwick and Brandon Wood. Alex Presley due up.
Pirates 4, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 15 10:41 PM
- Brandon Wood single to left scored Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ross Ohlendorf due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 15 10:40 PM
- Justin Sellers ground-rule double to left scored Dee Gordon with none out. Runner on second and Matt Kemp due up.
Pirates 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 15 10:25 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 15 10:13 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21