Loney, Rivera lead Dodgers past PiratesSep 18, 2011 - 6:23 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - James Loney smashed a three-run homer and Juan Rivera clubbed a two-run shot, as the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Pittsburgh Pirates, 6-1.
Jerry Sands collected three hits for Los Angeles, which has won three of its last four games. Ted Lilly (10-14) gave up one run on four hits with two walks and seven strikeouts over seven innings to reach double digits in wins for the ninth straight season.
"I was throwing pitches for strikes," Lilly said. "It's hard for me to feel satisfied when I knew I could have done better. It was a fun game."
Josh Harrison knocked in the lone run for the Pirates, who have dropped seven of nine. James McDonald (9-9) surrendered the home runs to Loney and Rivera among seven hits in three frames.
"He was very effective," Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said of Lilly.
The Dodgers jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning on Loney's 11th home run of the season, a two-out blast to right-center.
Harrison doubled home Derrek Lee in the Pirates' second, but Rivera followed a leadoff single by Matt Kemp in the third with a drive to left field.
Los Angeles extended its lead to 6-1 when Tim Federowicz singled home Aaron Miles in the fifth.
Pittsburgh loaded the bases with one out in the eighth, but Kenley Jansen struck out Ryan Ludwick and pinch-hitter Garrett Jones swinging to end the inning.
The Dodgers are 5-2 against Pittsburgh in 2011...McDonald broke into the majors with the Dodgers in 2008 and was dealt to the Pirates at last year's trade deadline for reliever Octavio Dotel.
- PITTSBURGH: 1
LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 18 1:34 AM
- Tim Federowicz single to left scored Aaron Miles with one out. On the play, Jerry Sands advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ted Lilly due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 18 12:05 AM
- James Loney doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Aaron Miles due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 17 11:21 PM
- Michael McKenry flied out to left. Runners on second and third with two outs and James McDonald due up.
Pirates 1, Dodgers 3 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 17 10:44 PM
- Derrek Lee walked. Runner on first with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Pirates 0, Dodgers 3 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 17 10:34 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 10:11 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21