Anderson, A's blank Red SoxApr 20, 2011 - 7:34 AM
Anderson (1-1) fanned eight, walked one and surrendered just four hits to pick up his first win of 2011.
"You have to give Anderson a lot of credit. That kid has good stuff," Lackey said of his counterpart.
Daric Barton, Kurt Suzuki and David DeJesus drove in a run each for the Athletics, who have won three straight games.
Adrian Gonzalez finished 2-for-4 for the Red Sox, who saw their season-high three-game win streak halted.
John Lackey (1-2) worked six frames, allowing four hits and one run with three strikeouts in the hard-luck defeat.
Oakland turned a slim one-run edge into a comfortable lead in its final at- bat.
Cliff Pennington stroked a leadoff double against Dan Wheeler, then Hideki Okajima came on and allowed Pennington to swipe third before giving up a Barton RBI single for a 2-0 game. After fanning DeJesus, Josh Willingham walked and Matsui plated two with a double to right.
Alfredo Aceves got the call and gave up Suzuki's base hit to score Ryan Sweeney, who was pinch-running for Matsui.
Craig Breslow and Brian Fuentes combined to hold the Sox at bay in the ninth despite two on and one out.
Coco Crisp singled to start the home first, stole second, moved to third on a groundout and scored on DeJesus' grounder to short.
Boston's best chance to get on the board happened in the eighth. David Ortiz singled to start, then was replaced by Jacoby Ellsbury. Mike Cameron then struck out swinging, and Ellsbury was ruled out at second due to batter's interference as Cameron wandered in front of the plate as Suzuki tried to throw to second.
Carl Crawford and Jarrod Saltalamacchia both singled, but Darnell McDonald struck out to end the threat.
"Every time we go into the last inning we're either winning 1-0 or losing 1-0," Athletics catcher Kurt Suzuki said, referring to Oakland's terrific starting pitching thus far.
Oakland won five of nine meetings a season ago...The A's have beaten the Sox in five of their last six home games...Red Sox manager Terry Francona was ejected in the fourth inning for arguing a call on the basepaths...A's starters have allowed one earned run in the last five games, over 33 2/3 innings, for a 0.29 earned run average.
- BOSTON: 0
Apr 20 12:57 AM
- Kurt Suzuki single to center scored Ryan Sweeney with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 12:39 AM
- Hideki Matsui double to right scored Daric Barton and Josh Willingham with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 20 12:34 AM
- Daric Barton single to center scored Cliff Pennington with one out. Runner on first with one out and David DeJesus due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 20 12:23 AM
- David DeJesus groundout to short scored Coco Crisp with two out. None on with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Red Sox 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 19 10:23 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 10:07 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21