Indians top A's in another final at-bat winMay 4, 2011 - 7:37 AM
The Indians struck gold against the closer Fuentes, winning their seventh straight game and pushing their record to an MLB-leading 20-8.
"There's nothing magical about it," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta, "it's just that we have been able to put together at bats."
Which is what the Indians did Tuesday.
Michael Brantley walked in the ninth and was erased on a pickoff, but the out didn't deter the AL Central-leading Indians, as Matt LaPorta fisted a single to left, Jack Hannahan's grounder found real estate into right field and Orlando Cabrera's solid liner to center gave the visitors the lead.
Grady Sizemore was plunked in the back with a curveball to load the bases before Asdrubal Cabrera's two-run single chased Fuentes (1-3) and pushed the lead to 4-1.
"We expect a lot out of ourselves," said LaPorta. "If you don't expect greatness, you shouldn't be here."
Chris Perez worked the ninth frame for his eighth save, holding on for Fausto Carmona (3-3), who gave up just the one run on five hits with five strikeouts and one walk over eight solid frames.
Neither team mounted much of a threat until the home fourth when Daric Barton singled and David DeJesus reached on an infield hit off Carmona's glove with nobody out. A pair of groundouts led to Barton crossing home for a 1-0 lead in the fourth.
Cleveland tied the game in the seventh, finally solving Tyson Ross' firepower. Carlos Santana reached on an infield hit, moved to third on Brantley's single and came home to score on LaPorta's base hit to center.
Hideki Matsui finished 2-for-4 in defeat...Ross was solid for the A's, giving up just one run on eight hits with three strikeouts over 6 1/3 frames...Asdrubal Cabrera had three hits, while Santana, LaPorta and Hannahan each finished with two.
- CLEVELAND: 4
May 4 1:03 AM
- Asdrubal Cabrera singled to center scored Jack Hannahan and Orlando Cabrera with one out. Runners on first and second with Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 4, Athletics 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 4 12:50 AM
- Orlando Cabrera singled to center scored Matt LaPorta with one out. Runners on first and second with Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 2, Athletics 1 Top 9, 1 OutMay 4 12:47 AM
- Matt LaPorta singled to center scored Carlos Santana with one out. Runners on first and second with Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 1, Athletics 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 3 11:55 PM
- Kurt Suzuki grounded out third to first scored Daric Barton with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Indians 0, Athletics 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 3 11:08 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 10:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21