Huff delivers in 10th as Giants nip A'sMay 21, 2011 - 6:16 AM
Oakland reliever Brian Fuentes (1-5) served Huff a four-seam baseball that Huff ripped into the right-center gap that brought home speedy Emmanuel Burriss from second to give the Giants their third straight win.
Mark Ellis recorded his 1,000 career hit with a single in the second inning for Oakland, which has dropped three straight.
Both teams had just five hits in a game that was mostly a pitcher's duel.
Oakland starter Trevor Cahill was brilliant through six frames, allowing just one hit, one earned run and fanned six batters, though he failed to become the majors' first seven-game winner.
Meanwhile, Ryan Vogelsong was just as strong for the Giants, surrendering one unearned run with four hits and five strikeouts over six frames.
Both teams then went deep into the bullpen the rest of the way as Javier Lopez (2-0) threw a perfect 10th inning to set up the win.
Burriss singled to lead off the bottom of the 10th, and Andres Torres bunted him to second. Fuentes then intentionally walked Freddy Sanchez before surrendering Huff's game-winning hit.
The game was filled with mishaps and lack of execution. The A's put their leadoff hitter on in six of the first eight innings and scored just once. The Giants offense was obsolete, getting just a double from Buster Posey and a Cody Ross single through the first seven frames.
In fact, the Giants' only other score came in the first before putting up zeros across the board the next eight innings.
Torres walked to start the bottom of the first and reached third on Kurt Suzuki's throwing error after swiping second. Sanchez's groundout then scored Torres for an early 1-0 lead.
During the fifth, Cahill helped his own cause when he grounded into a double play, but it was enough to score Ellis, who started out the inning with a double, to tie it at one.
Ellis became the 12th player in Oakland history to reach the 1,000-hit plateau...Oakland placed pitchers Brandon McCarthy and Tyson Ross on the 15- day disabled list on Friday. The club also optioned pitcher Trystan Magnuson to Triple-A Sacramento and recalled pitchers Joey Devine, Fautino De Los Santos and Jerry Blevins from Sacramento...Posey extended his season-high hitting streak to nine games...The Giants have won seven in a row at home against Oakland and have won 11 of the past 15 meetings in the interleague regional rival series.
- OAKLAND: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
May 21 1:45 AM
- Aubrey Huff singled to right scored Emmanuel Burriss with one out to end the game.
Athletics 1, Giants 2 Bot 10, 1 OutMay 21 1:44 AM
- Trevor Cahill grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Mark Ellis. Cliff Pennington out at second. Kevin Kouzmanoff advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 20 11:35 PM
- Freddy Sanchez grounded out second to first scored Andres Torres. None on with one out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 20 10:28 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 10:17 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21